Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there is sticky of test done and i know the hornady 200rn does exceptionally well as far as expansion tests go. but i just want to know about how they compare to the 200gr rem core lockts. i found some 200 rn hornadys local and just want to better understand them before i purchase them. thanks in advance guys

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
There sure is. It's in, of all places, a forum called BULLET TESTS, imagine that.

Here is the link:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,43257.0.html

And I'll tell you the Hornady 200 gr is far from being the best available bullet for a 35 Remington. Maybe you are using it in something else, though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was debating it for the .35 rem. I have 100 corelockts but try to save them for season since they are hard to come by. i figured the hornadys would be better for punching paper over the summer to get a little more proficient with her. but at $40 per 100 maybe id be better with a diff bullet. Please share any recommendations. I appreciate it Hal.

-Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Not to say the Hornadys won't kill deer. They will. I have done so using them myself.

Just that the Remington bullet is quite a bit superior.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess what I was thinking is I could get them for punching paper and hopefully not have to adjust the scope from my 200 corelockt load and get more proficient with her and save my corelokts for season

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Funny.....since I have a large supply of the 200 Hornady bullet, rejects and otherwise, and consider them to be of lower value than the Core-Lokt, that's exactly what I do!

Great minds think alike? ;D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I've killed numerous deer with the 200 gr Hornady, but I never felt I got the expansion like I did with the Core-lokt. Then I read 35remington's report and found out that I was right. I quit using them on deer years ago, and started shooting the 180 gr Speer which I found was flatter shooting and more accurate than the Hornady bullets in my 336 RC.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Funny. I've been using 200gr Hornady RN in a 35Remington, 358 winchester, and 35 Whelen for over 20 yrs and they kill deer very well. As a matter of fact, I know guys who swear at the 200gr Whelen load and won't even use it anymore because it BLOWS UP when hitting bones and makes a huge mess of the deer.

Personally I think the Hornady Bullet is a BETTER bullet in a 35 than the Remington. Better accuracy and and better killing power at ALL velocity ranges is the norm for the Hornady.

If the OP is paying $40/100 for the Hornadys, he's getting screwed.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6317

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes but by the time i pay shipping for most sights it will be at $40 anyways. and its hard to shoot a bullet that isnt available anyways. so they can price at whatever they want but they cant sell it if it isnt in stock

·
Registered
981 Posts
mebe007 said:
yes but by the time i pay shipping for most sights it will be at $40 anyways. and its hard to shoot a bullet that isnt available anyways. so they can price at whatever they want but they cant sell it if it isnt in stock
Graf's has no shipping fees, just a $5 handling fee. That bullet will be in stock soon enough and when it does get on their shelf, order up 3-4 boxes and you'll be good for awhile. $95 for 300 bullets is alot cheaper than $120 for 300.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I haven't seen anybody mention anything yet about cast bullets that are perfectly suitable for the .35's given the velocities they might run at. If you don't cast your own bullets, there a few places to get bullets that do particularly well in a .35 Remington.

Of course, Beartooth Bullets is a MO site sponsor, and here is their link. Take a look at the details for the 200 grain bullet for use in the .35 Remington.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Another less mentioned place to get them is Montana Bullet Works, and here is their link. Again, key in on the RCBS #82028 200 gr FNGC for the .35 Remington.

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/358_Rifle.html

These bullets shoot very well in my 336C using H-335 and AA-2520, not to mention that they are about 1/3 less $$$ than jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i will soon have my casting equipment. once i get good at casting for my .45acp i will be buying one of ranch dogs molds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts