Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am trying to decide between two models of the 1894. I already have a Vaquero in .45LC and a Model 19 in .38/.357. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the same caliber rifles? It seems reloading would be less expensive with the .38 and perhaps a wider range of velocities. I will be mostly plinking and target shooting at ranges of 25-150 yards. Are either suitable for coyotes?

Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
422 Posts
You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this. I have both 1894 rifles, 357 and 45. The 357 will give you better ballistics overall especially if you plan on shooting further than 100 yards. At my club's range and shooting my 357 (either my 1894CS or Cowboy) I can hit the 200 yard sight in gong offhand pretty regularly with only a little hold over. I have a harder time hitting with the 45 since just about any load drops like a brick after 100 yards.

The 357 really shines in a rifle. You can get some pretty high velocities from the 357 out of a rifle. Components are somewhat cheaper and more readily available. Some on this forum use the 357 for deer with good results.

The 45 LC is a good shooter and I wouldn't hesitate shooting a deer out to 100 yards with a good bullet and stout load. My buddy hunts deer with an 1894 in 44 Mag and never had a problem on a deer. He does limit his shots to less than 100 yards though and never on a running deer.

In my experience, I've found better accuracy overall from the 357 as compared to my 45. Either would flatten a coyote with no problem. I would lean toward the 357 if you shoot any further than 100 yards though.

In my experience, I have found that accurate loads developed for my rifles are often quite hot in my pistols chambered for the same caliber. Rifle loads in the pistols are more difficult to shoot comfortably and harder on the pistol. Having said that, I don't shoot pistol all that much and keep my rifle loads marked and separate from loads for the pistols. I prefer shooting the pistol caliber rifles so I work up loads for the rifles, not specifically for the pistols. I have a Model 27 and a Model 65 S&W in 357 currently. I did have a Ruger 45 Blackhawk but traded it up for an 1895 CBC in 45 Colt. If you plan on shooting the same load from both pistol and rifle, I'd load to the desired comfort or performance level of the pistol and it should still shoot well in the rifle.

Either one would be a good choice but both have advantages and disadvantages. You'll have to decide what you want.

My 2 cents.

Good shooting.

G

·
I have to agree with GLC that a 357 shines in a rifle. I have both a
45 and a 357 and the fun quotient for the 357 is really high. My experience
reloading for the 1894C vs the pistol (s&w 686) is that the rifle really
benefits from slower powders (H110 / WW296) while the pistol likes
slightly faster powders (Blue Dot). Also the rifle is not very tolerant of light
pills launched fast.
No matter what you wouldn't make a mistake with either

1 - 3 of 3 Posts