Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sidearm do you Cary to go with your rifle? I have an uberti cattleman in 45 colt when I pack my rossi 92 in 45 colt.looking for a good companion to go with my 336 in 30-30 and maybe just another excuse to buy a new pistol😉

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Got a 3 screw Blackhawk .357 to pair w/ my 1894 .357 - - got a S&W 6904 9mm to pair w/ my model 9 Camp - - usually just carry one of the .22's w/ the 336 when huntin'

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. Unfortunately Hawaii only allows it's hunters to carry one weapon whether It be a rifle or a pistol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Single action Army .45 Colt or M25 Smith .45 or 1911 .45ACP mate to my .32-20, .30-30, .30-40 1895 Win or .300 Sav 99 or ...........

Reactions: Chigger and Tomray

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I used to wear a 4" Mod. 28 Highway Patrolman but converted it to N frame round butt and gave it to my ladyfriend for Christmas. That wasn't a particularly bright move on my part. Now, I wear a Mod. 66 to go with my Marlin 1894C.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Think I just did this on another thread, but.....
My 44mag combo either my 336-T saddle ring 44mag or my 1894P:

GP100 Talo and Gunsight Scout:

Mossberg tacticool lever and my Desert Eagle (sold both, but both were fun to shoot)

Or, for something REALLY different, the Mossberg again with the wifes chiappa Rhino:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
IMG_1168.jpg I don't see it as a date where everything has to be just right. If I'm packing a handgun, it'll be one of the ones that shoot where I need it to. I'm with Mr. Cash on this one I believe, it'll be my .45 Colt or perhaps my Colt 1911. Likely as not, it'll be the pet, a 4 5/8" Ruger that's been worked on by a dear friend. Easy to pack, accurate and reliable. It'll do anything I ask of it. If I'm packing, it expected to work and get work done. Otherwise, stay out of my way. Steve

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
PA State Hunting laws allow licensed hunters to carry a revolver as a side arm while hunting. No semi-auto firearms are legal while hunting in our state. I have a Ruger GP100 357 that I've owned for years. Its fits the bill for a backup "just in case" pistol. Even if I am scouting, I always have my hunting license attached to my clothing, even if I am just scouting, looking for tracks and signs where I plan to hunt. Coyotes are always open season, so I'm ready if I happen to get a good shot at one.

Mike T.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
With my 1894 SS, it will be either my Ruger SS SBH or my old model Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 44 mag. I carry one of the Rugers in the event a close shot presents itself. I don't feel the need for a back-up to a rifle, but I carry one of the 44s in case the deer gets within my comfort range, and I would love to kill a deer with the handgun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i only have three hunting rifles. model 99 savage in 250-3000. remington 7400 in 30-06. and a remington 700 in 30-06, never used. i use my model 99 with 100 grain bullets for deer and antelope. and my 7400 for hogs and elk. i gave up carrying revolvers on hunts for the most part. carried a smith in 357. finally started carrying a springfield xd in 45 loaded with 255 grain buffalo bore ammo. ive never had to fire it. but at night camping i feel more comfortable going for a semiauto. just more naturalsince thats what i go for at home. i think at 25 yards the buffalo bore still has 550 ft/lbs of energy. and you know it when you let that round fly. i dont carry to put down a wounded animal i come up on. usually it has antlers so i just shoot it with my rifle from a bit further back. my sidearm protects me. i dont use it for offense. had a mountain lion walk out in front of me one day and it was easier to fire off a rifle round than sling it and go for my handgun to spook him off my kill. i also carry my versa pack h&r 22/410 or my rossi 223/20g on my pack just in case. of course on the plains you generally dont need anything but a knife and one bullet

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
With a rifle that is most likely the 45-70 I still have a 44 magnum with me while out. This summer it has been a S&W five shot L frame with a 4 1/4 inch barrel that fits my hands and has proven accurate and seems to handle the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast fine. I also normally have a 22 magnum NAA Widow that works always, is good enough while disappears easily for potting small game when legal and useful. image.jpg Reasonable to ask then why carry a 44 magnum? I think Murphy' may not be a law as much as someone who seems to be my personal stalker. ;)

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Marlin 1895 45/70
Sig P220 45 ACP

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I carry a single six just because it is light in weight. I have calibers to match leverguns in 22, 357, 44S and 45C. If I am in a blind that affords close shots I will use one of these, but always the 22 in a backpack or holster. Never know when hunting is slow and a squirrel shows up that needs killing. If I am tracking, I take a centerfire HG and open sight rifle or 12 ga pump with buckshot. seldom do I "match" them.

When travelling, generally an AR or 357C / CP plus Glock.

Papalote

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, I don't have the companion rifle YET, but I have the Ruger SRH in 454 Casull. Since they liberalized the shotgun only laws in lower half of Michigan's lower peninsula, we can use some of the straight wall pistol cartridges in a rifle. I wish Marlin would camber one in 454 but all I can find is Rossi and Puma. I really don't like the safety on the Rossi's and I believe Puma used to make one without the top breech safety. Another thing, Rossi makes the 44mag in a 24" barrel, but don't make the 454 with a 24" barrel. Ah, got off course here but that will be my set if I find what I am looking for. Next :flute:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts