Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something I picked up lately. It will be a good companion for my 1894SS.

It is a Virginian Dragoon, made sometime between 1974 and 1984. It is a 6 inch 44 magnum.

They aren't seen very often, but they are extremely well made single action revolvers.

Four clicks like a Colt, and it is very smooth and has a great trigger.

If you see one of these, don't hesitate to buy it. The quality is top notch, and the prices are ridiculously low........

Before 1974 they were made in Switzerland by Hammerli. In 1974, Interarms started making them in Virginia, and continued doing so until 1984, when financial problems and too much competition from Big Bill forced them to be discontinued.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It shoots every bit as good as any Ruger I've ever owned. Maybe better, I didn't have a lot of time to get any groupings on paper. I just shot at a half dozen apples, and a pop can. It shoots to POA at 50 feet, for sure.

Recoil is very managable. The larger grip is a real plus for me. I can really hold onto it. I like the sights. A couple of quick kills on the apples were instinctive and easy. The trigger is a delight. The way they SHOULD be. No creep. Not light, and not heavy. Just right.

I didn't shoot any lead bullets, and the tight cylinder gap was not an issue with fouling, but I suspect when I do a lot of shooting, I'll have to take a LeadFree cloth to the cylinder face from time to time, to prevent it dragging on the forcing cone. There was very little gas escaping out the sides.

All in all, a very pleasant experience.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Good looking piece, how cheap is ridiculously cheap? I'm in the market for a 44, is it stainless or nickle? I have an 1894SS as well, might have to get me a gun like that and some kickin' boots!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts