Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime this coming week, I'll be hitting a milestone with my company issued duty gun. By my best count, since I was issued the gun in December 2002, I have put 49,650 rounds thru it, nearly all medium-strength 38 Specials. The gun is a Model Ten made in 1961, with a pinned, pencil-style barrel. My standard load is about 4 grains of WST under a 158-plated Rainier bullet, lit by Federal primers. I load them for around $75.00 a thousand, which means I've put about $3700 worth of my own ammo thru the gun in three years. In that time, the gun has suffered nothing more serious than a broken firing pin, and was back in service in short order. The gun was a bit rough when I got it, but has smoothed up considerably. The holster wear is atrocious, and was when I got it, but we get along pretty well, being close to the same age. It may be a lowly 38, but if the doodoo hits the rotating oscillator, I'm still pretty well armed. Nearly all shots fired have been double-action, since we have to qualify that way, and I don't even notice that I'm shooting that way, it just comes naturally now. The gun has seen a few hundred Plus-P's, plus about as much standard-pressure factory ammo since I got it, but it throws just about everything to the same point of impact, right where the sights look. There are a lot more modern and glamorous guns out there, but my gun and I are plenty alike.....Old, Ugly and somewhat the worse for wear. But we're still On The Job. 8)

I think when I break the 50K mark, I should do something special. Maybe I'll drink a toast to Horace Smith and D. B. Wesson, and all the craftsmen that have worked there over the years. I think they'd all be proud of what one gun has managed to digest, with barely a hiccup!

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
50,000 rounds in three years is a remarkable amount of shooting. You should congratulate yourself on your dedication. That the S&W handled it so well speaks highly of the basic design too.

Congrats! You and the revolver deserve to celebrate! Guy

·
Registered
309 Posts
50.000 Rounds

That's an amazing feat. You are to be congradulated. My guess is few
hunters or shooters will do that in their life time. And to do that with the same gun. I bet you two work well together.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The funny part is, I went to the range with a buddy (co-worker, also a badge guy) yesterday, we shot pins for awhile, and he was having a HORRIBLE day, couldn't hit a pin at seven yards to save his sorry butt. So we packed up early and left. I'm still about fifty rounds from hitting the mark, and it seems like I'm hesitant to get there, maybe I'm waiting for the band to show up and make a lot of noise when I finally reach the milestone. I know that's not gonna happen, but somehow I want it to be special, not just another 400 rounds downrange.

I guess it will happen Friday morning if the weather's decent, I plan on bringing the gun home afterwards, giving it a good bath, and drinking a toast to S&W, their fine craftsmen thru the years, and all those that kept America free, so a simple old dinosaur like me could enjoy the freedom to shoot his sidearm that much without someone telling him it was wrong. (Sorry for the run-on sentence, had a lot of ground to cover!) 8)

BTW, I name all my favorite guns, and this has a name as well. I call him Howdy. He's my duty gun. Some folks don't get it!

Papajohn the Proud Trigger-Happy Fossil

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Model 10 is basicly the same revolver Smith & Wesson introduced in 1889. It still works just fine.
IMHO, the k-frame Smith, especially the model 10, should get as much respect as the Colt SAA. Between 1920 and about 1980, the K frame S&W revolver was the most widely used police/duty handgun in the USA. For several decades, over 80% of the police departments in the US used the S&W K-frame .

There are a lot of good reasons for this, and you have covered them.
I have several K-frames now, and I keep finding reasons to buy more of them.

Enjoy .

Mark

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Awesome for sure.. I think I would probably try to purchase it, retire it with honors to being my home protection gun.. But I know that if your like me,, what works and ain't broke don't need fixin.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a matter of fact, I just got home from a LONG day at the range, empty brass everywhere, gotta crank up the tumbler and drink a beer.

As of today, I now have a shade over 56,000 rounds thru Howdy, and he's tight as ever. I don't shoot wadcutters and I don't load light, so this gun is a testament to quality manufacturing. I keep it clean, lubricate it when it needs it, and obviously, shoot it a lot. I hope to hit a hundred thousand in another four years or so. And there's no way of knowing how many rounds it saw before I got it! The holster wear is pretty severe, but the frame is still shiny and not pitted. Did I mention that I LOVE this gun? 8)

Papajohn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Papajohn,

Those Model 10s are great guns! I've owned and shot several, and they've all been very dependable and more accurate than I am. I'm kinda partial to the ones made with the heavy barrels, but that is only a "looks" consideration. That's also a remarkable amount of rounds downrange. With that kind of familiarity with your handgun, I'm guessing that your targets, of whatever kind, are in definite jeopardy!

I've wondered about the plated bullets from Rainier. Just haven't gotten around to trying them. Seems to me like they would be a good all around bullet for reloading. I'm assuming you like them very well or you'd be shooting something else.

About that stuff hittin' the fan, it's always been my experience that the person who throws that stuff at the fan almost always gets a big lot of it back on himself. It's pretty hard to escape the stinky stuff if you are the one who throws it into the fan. That's why I always try to be the fan and not the one who does the throwing!!

That holster wear is a sign of a well used weapon and is to be congratulated. It sure doesn't detract from the value of the weapon in my book. It's also my opinion that there are a great many firearms available that won't discharge that many rounds without more need for maintenance than your 10 has had. They are really quality weapons!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have used several model 10's over the years and the only surviving piece is a 60's vintage Nickel 5" from a large police department. It seems like when I go to break in newbies, there are always two I grab. That model 10 and a Colt Official Police, also in 5".

I'm sure I have not used the number of rounds you have, but I can relate to the familiarity of an old friend. When I go back and shoot these handguns, I just seem to feel right at home.

Makes me wonder sometimes why I spend all the money and time working with the autoloaders.
Regards
Bestboss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts