Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many primers do you keep in stock to feel comfortable?

Lets say for use with;

LPP & LMP, for 44mag/44 Spl

LRP- for 45-70/243/30-30

SRP- only 22Hornet &25-20

Thanks for looking and input :tee:
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I would say that depends on how much actual shooting you can do. If you have loaded ammo, then that is considered primer stock too.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Well now buddy, I'm no longer comfortable with less than 8,000 for LR and 5,000 for LP. Since the only thing I load with SP is the 38 special I'm good with 2,000 and the big boy LRM I just keep 1,000. I love the 458 winchester but I won't shoot a thousand rounds of it. :biggrin: Don't forget the shotgun primers - I keep two bricks of that! I never pass them up when I see em I buy em.

That being said I got a pile of primers in the man cave....

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
500 million!
Just kidding,
I try to keep enough primers and powder to last through the dry spells, but lately that means rationing shooting.
Around here, large pistol primers are the hardest to get. And MOST powders.
I did see where Gamaleil Shooting Supply has shotgun and small pistol/ rifle primers in stock
BoB

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
in a shtf scenario you wont be using as many as you think....far, far less than paper punching....so I try to keep a 3-4 yr supply of everything - basis lots of targets - its enough to get through a very long spell of shortages and many years of "after the collapse"

and a couple k 22lr - same for 22mag

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Large Rifle 12,000
small rifle none
Large Pistol 1000
small Pistol 500 (dang 45 uses both)

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Large Rifle 12,000
small rifle none
Large Pistol 1000
small Pistol 500 (dang 45 uses both)
Dont you hate those SPP 45acp cases? I keep them in a separate container for a just in case I need them type scenario....

I have between 5000 and 20,000 per caliber of rifle and pistol I own.

Doc

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
This thread got me to thinking it would be an expensive proposition to store all of that for me.
I would need four pounds of powder for each of rifles at 30 a pop that's a lot of money.
Then I would need 2 pounds for my 40 cal again not cheap.
lets say 10,000 primers at 50 a brick right now that is not cheap either.
10,000 bullets at 25 cents apiece average.
You can get over a thousand dollars sitting in your re-loading supplies quick plus you would have to re-place and rotate your supplies keeping you at over a thousand dollars sitting there.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I purchase primers in lot/bricks of 5,000 and usually have 2-3 bricks on hand of Win LR, CCI BR-2, Win LP and SP, and some Federal SR. I prefer to purchase primers by the brick to have the same lot. Plus it saves a bit as opposed to buying them 100 at a time.

Same with powders, I purchase powders in 4 or 8pound containers. A bit cheaper, and it is the same lot.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
yeah but it allows you to shoot, shoot shoot some more without any worries. a small investment for a bunch of fun.

This thread got me to thinking it would be an expensive proposition to store all of that for me.
I would need four pounds of powder for each of rifles at 30 a pop that's a lot of money.
Then I would need 2 pounds for my 40 cal again not cheap.
lets say 10,000 primers at 50 a brick right now that is not cheap either.
10,000 bullets at 25 cents apiece average.
You can get over a thousand dollars sitting in your re-loading supplies quick plus you would have to re-place and rotate your supplies keeping you at over a thousand dollars sitting there.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i like to have 5000 large pistol and 5000 large rifle i have over 5000 small rifle and around 10,000 small pistol just to fill safe

·
Super Moderator
5,387 Posts
my comfort zone is to have a couple thousand each at home, and know the shelves at the gun shop are totally stocked at 2008 prices :)

I ain't been comfortable in a while

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
How many primers do you keep in stock to feel comfortable?

Lets say for use with;

LPP & LMP, for 44mag/44 Spl

LRP- for 45-70/243/30-30

SRP- only 22Hornet &25-20

Thanks for looking and input :tee:
BloodGroove4570
I didn't stop until I had 10k of each including 209s. I have a lot more these days of the large and small rifle though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have 5k plus of shotgun LRP LPP
what i am missing is LRMP

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
over 27,000 and its not enough.

·
Registered
931 Posts
In '94 the club I belonged to got together and bought a pickup load of primers. Haven't had to buy primers since...granted, I don't shoot as much now as I did then. At the time I thought I was only getting a couple years worth, maybe. The ol' RL550 got a lot more use then than now. These days it's mostly SP with a few LR and SR and LP for variety. But I gotta say, I've been having a ball with little green Army men and a BB gun lately.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I prefer to have 10k of Large Rifle and Large Pistol on hand at any given time. I also started with 5k of Large Rifle magnums to keep the .460 fed, will never need more of those. Small Pistol, well, whatever I can afford to keep, because they go fast. All bets are off if I'm shooting enough to need a progressive again.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I keep a stash of what I'm using on the shelves within reach, usually a thousand or two or each type. This is what I currently have in reserve, not including what I bought this week. I wouldn't say it's enough, but it keeps the panic level down to a reasonable level.

We won't discuss the quantities of loaded ammo. I don't have the patience to count that much stuff!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks fellas

I'm just tryin to gauge what I should keep on hand.?
I'm makin a supply run today and want to TRY'n get my supply level where I'm content!!!??????

The nice lady has held a 5# TrailBoss for me and I want to get items for the new to me 25-20, also to feed the 44's which get shot most!

What is TrailBoss good in besides 44 & 25-20? I think I seen it in 45-70 from some members here?!?!??

Thanks
Blood

1 - 20 of 35 Posts