Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Combined technology Nosler/Winchester

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Bearcat 74 
#1 · (Edited)
I am reloading some ammo for my grandson's .270 for elk hunting this fall. I was unable to obtain, my preference, Nosler 150 gr. partiontions. Instead I came up with Nosler/Winchester Combined Technology 150 grain and some Speer 150 gr. boat-tails. Has anyone here had any experience with any of these bullets? In .270? I sure would appreciate any answers on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

ROUNDUP

#2 ·
If the Winchester/CT ones are the Ballistic Silver tips FORGET it!, they WILL NOT! hold up, I've got the Speer's on hand but never loaded one?, they say the boat tails don't hold together well either?, I've got some .270 150grn Partition Golds here that I could be persuaded to part with if you cant find any good bullets?

#4 ·
The PTGs are great bullets if you can find them. If not, plain old 150 PTs in the new boxes will get it done. I actually like the 150 Ballistic Silvertip. It's nothing more than a 150 BT and it's tougher than most people think. No experience with the Speer but chances are, at 150 grains, the 270 Winchester should work well with a lot of bullets.

#5 ·
Can you locate a box of Barnes .270 130 gr TTSX?? Load the 130 gr TTSX with 58.5- 59.0 -59.5 and lastly 60.0 of H-4831sc (short cut). The 130 gr Barnes TTSX bullet has the same length as most 140/150 grain cup and core bullets. READ THE INSTRUCTONS IN THE BOX, THE BARNES BULLETS ARE SEATING DEPTH SENSATIVE. Just a .1 change in seating depth can cut the group size in by .25 to .50 inch.

Chocdog

#7 ·
I use the Speers in my 257 Roberts with good results and excellent accuracy (100gr BT SPT). In the 30-06 I use 150 Grand Slams with excellent results on whitetails and hogs. My old faithful stand by in 243 thru 30-06 are the plain old Remmy Core-Lokts. I have killed at least 20 deer and 14 hogs with the core lokts with zero failures of any kind, using my 06. Speers have also been the most accurate in my 6.5 Swede, but I haven't been able to hunt with it yet. I have no experience with the 270, but lots of experience speer bullets in .243, .257 Roberts, 308 Win and 30-06, and I would not be concerned with the speers, I am also a Nosler partition fan but these days I take what I can get. As I stated before you cant go wrong with the tried and true Core Lokts.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.