Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30+ years, I always thought I would get another one of these after giving up the one I had once upon a time, and last night I made the journey into the upper peninsula here in Mich to pick it up. Bought it on GB, and the dealer was about a 3 1/2 hour drive north of me. Figured the gas was less than the CC fee, transfer fee and shipping and it was. We were in a winter storm watch that was moving in and I took off anyway right after work. I drove out of some bad weather headed north and the farther north I got the better the roads got. That was not the case coming home, the last 75 miles or so was blizzard, almost white out, couldnt tell where the road was, 4 wheel drive doing maybe 40mph and it took about 5 1/2 hours to get back. 2 more days of this storm warning is gonna put the stop to me getting to the range.

Last week I did get to try out the Colt .22 and it shoots very well. I tore up the steels on the pistol range. I`ll get some targets for next time.
I think every sportsmans paradise should have a giant trout statue in the middle of town :) The mighty Mackinaw bridge, which at some point in the last 20 yrs turned into a toll, $4 each way, the start of the snow warning, 2 more days, couple feet expected, and the new weapon!

Bridge Cable-stayed bridge Extradosed bridge Skyway Suspension bridge
Snow Winter Blizzard Freezing Winter storm
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
12,712 Posts
Nice gun man. I bought a Colt 1911 a couple years ago and have yet to shoot it, guess I need to get to the range.

I'm all about saving a few bucks but driving 9 hours and risking life and limb takes it to a completely whole new level. I'm kind of impressed.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Nice gun man. I bought a Colt 1911 a couple years ago and have yet to shoot it, guess I need to get to the range.

I'm all about saving a few bucks but driving 9 hours and risking life and limb takes it to a completely whole new level. I'm kind of impressed.

MY GOD, man!..............You need to get out MORE!.............

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
amustangrocks,

Nice Trout, Big expensive Bridge, ( I hate Tolls!) You can keep all that white stuff!........................ Two Nice looking Colts..........I hope you enjoy both of them.

Tom

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MY GOD, man!..............You need to get out MORE!.............

Tom
Thanks king. Ya,ha, I thought I was bad. How could you buy a nice gun and not shoot it? Thats just wrong :) I took that chance driving hoping I could beat the weather, but the dealer guy was a bit slow, and the background check took a while (glad it wasnt broke down), but I lost. Thats why I never gamble, I would loose my shirt. I`m gonna try to get to the range tomorrow, hoping the plow guy makes the road a road getting back into the woods to the range. Ive got some rounds for both handguns.

Gonna check into the carry permit course next month, and if they wont let me use the .22 I`ll use the .45. Either way I`m covered now. Anyone ever put white dots on the sights? I would really like to have them on the .22
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
amustangrocks,

Nice Trout, Big expensive Bridge, ( I hate Tolls!) You can keep all that white stuff!........................ Two Nice looking Colts..........I hope you enjoy both of them.

Tom
Thanks Tom, gonna have some fun with these guns if this weather ever breaks. The UP (upper peninsula) was like a giant deer farm, musta saw 100 deer grazing along the roads in the cpl hour ride. I did not see any moose, elk, wolves or bear though, but they are there somewhere
Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Tree Auto part Window

Sweet but GIANT MUSKY looks better for the true Sportsman's Paradise.....
https://www.freshwater-fishing.org
This little town, Kalkaska, and most of northern Mich is known for its Crown Jewel, Blue Ribbon and Holy Waters for some of the best fly fishing trout rivers in the country. Plenty of other towns here sporting Musky, Salmon and Steelhead amungst other game fishing.

Paint away! I like pink nail polish myself.
Nail polish huh? How ould one "dab" it on to get a nice dot? Toothpick maybe? I`m gonna get outside today and go looking for some white or light pink, do they have phosphorous nail polish? I have black hard as nails that I use for heads on salmon flys but thats not gonna work :)
Wrist Gadget
Artificial fly Fishing bait Bait Fishing lure Spoon lure

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Re: Paint dots on the Sights.....................

Go to a Hobby store, and look for a set of Testor's Model Paints............They come in a set in small bottles in assorted bright Neon colors...........
I've have had a set for years or maybe decades!................

Re: The sights .....Some rear sights are already "drill Pointed " and ready to accept a drop of paint, and if not you can chuck them up, and add a drill point on each side w/o too much effort.......lust make them even.

Tom

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I make a lot of fishing lures and have mastered putting "eyes" on them. I save all the handles from worn out artist brushes and pull
of the metal collar that holds bristles. I put these in pencil sharpener and point, then I roll them under a utility knife to make diffent
size tips. When you touch the point to paint it picks up a drop and when you touch it to a surface so only the paint touches and with
draw, it will leave a perfect dot. You have to experiment a little to have paint thinned to serve your purpose. I use this method to put
dots on sights and to replace the red & green in some safeties. You can buy Glo in dark for night sights if needed. It helps to clean
surface with acetone to insure paint sticks. Flo colors show up best if applied over white.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Check out Do-It brand vinyl paints for fishing lures. It is avaible in phos. and glow colors. I use to buy my lincense in Kalkaska at
HWS and camp on Boardman River Park. Fished all the rivers in the area for trout.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check out Do-It brand vinyl paints for fishing lures. It is avaible in phos. and glow colors. I use to buy my lincense in Kalkaska at
HWS and camp on Boardman River Park. Fished all the rivers in the area for trout.
The Boardman is right down the road from me. I dont hardly ever go there since I made a drift boat and cant float that river. It is nice though for small trout. I did get to the range but had my fingers crossed that I could make it in and out as no one plowed the road through the woods to the range yesterday and it was deep with freezing rain all morning on top of that. I did get to shoot both the Colts though :)
Tree Water State park Trail Plant
Text Font Tree Plant Commemorative plaque

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.