Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.7 gr. of bullseye an a 148gr. HBWC and you are good to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You are correct! That load has been around longer than my gun. I will try that one along with 2.9 grains of Tightgroup. I've been using that Tightgroup load in my model 52's with the Hornady 148 gr HBWC. I'm going to order some Speer HBWC's today. The powdery wax that Hornady uses as a lube is pretty uneven.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
I have wanted the Colt Mid Range for a few decades

has always been on my wish list but you seldom see them in my area

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have wanted the Colt Mid Range for a few decades

has always been on my wish list but you seldom see them in my area
I passed up one new in the box 5 years ago for $1400 from a local Colt collector. I just didn't know any better at the time. Now, the minty ones with box are going well over 2K. The one I have pictured is far from mint and far from original. The mainspring housing, front and rear sights, barrel bushing, spring guide and plug have all been changed for after market parts of the 1960's. Also, modifications have been done on the barrel. The trigger was cut down and soldered to make it shorter. With all this, the barrel is still minty smooth! I bought this in a lot of other stuff, so after some subtracting, I'm only into this for $700. If it doesn't shoot, I can still get that back in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
YOU MAKE ME JEALOUS!..................

Enjoy that rare Colt!

Oh, ................and it looks to be in very nice condition, too...............

Tom

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Very nice pistol & one I've never owned or shot. I remember in early 70s my LGS had a mint used one in the box. I'm thinking he
wanted $200 something for it. I didn't buy it, at the time I was into 22 Target Pistols. I had a bad habit of getting totally involved
with a certain type or model of gun. When I got interested in another I would trade them all off and go whole hog into something
else. My Bro is always hacking on me when we see guns that I had bought new back in the day for $150-200, with $1500 tags.
I have two responses for this. A dollar was worth much more back then and I would never have been able to afford all the guns I
have owned without selling or trading off the last interest.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your compliments. I know it may sound snobbish that I'm only into this for $700, but that is bargain city for any shootable Colt 1911 from the 60's, and especially in an odd ball caliber. I could sell this for $700 or $800 and then buy an unaltered one for $2000 and shoot it occasionally in ordder to keep it's value. Or, I could just keep this one and shoot it non stop and save myself $1200. Think I'm going to go with the latter and shoot this all the time.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
Thanks all for your compliments. I know it may sound snobbish that I'm only into this for $700, but that is bargain city for any shootable Colt 1911 from the 60's, and especially in an odd ball caliber. I could sell this for $700 or $800 and then buy an unaltered one for $2000 and shoot it occasionally in ordder to keep it's value. Or, I could just keep this one and shoot it non stop and save myself $1200. Think I'm going to go with the latter and shoot this all the time.
thru time, you should be able to replace most parts with OEM if you desired,

me, if it functions and shoots well, no need to bother, just shoot & enjoy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I would give you $800 in a hart beat. We have people chomping at the bit to buy rattle trap 1911s from CMP. It is
hard to find nice series 70 stock pistols for $800. A guy has a commercial 1911 from the 30s, mint in original box
his grandpa bought it new for counter gun at his grocery store. It's not for sale but someone appraised it at $3000
for insurance purposes. The guy calls it Grampas Minnie Pearl gun because tag is still on the trigger guard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.