Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
S&W, Colt, Winchester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have carried a Colt 1911 for a few decades now. I always shoot one when I go to the range to stay sharp.

This one stays in the car (under a towel). Sometimes, I get a reliable gun that shoots accurately from the factory. This is one (not the original stocks).

This one is in my bedside table drawer:

I have many rounds from this Gold Cup National Match:

This what I call a Series 70 replica. It's not an original Series 70 from the 1970's but a modern replica (it shoots better, IMO):

More incoming.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Really nice guns you have there. You have to love the 1911A1. I qualified on them when stateside long ago and whenever I had the choice, carried one. Heck, you can stop many a bad guy with one thats unloaded. Though not advised.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Nice collection. One of my favorites firearms is a 70 series Gold Cup that I fired in Bullseye competition for many years. These days I carry a Light Weight Officer's Model or a Springfield XDS but still like to put some rounds through the Gold Cup.

Padraig

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I love my Colt Combat Commander. I changed out the way too small grip safety for a beavertail and polisish the feed ramp. Otherwise the gun is strictly stock. The change to the beavertail was to keep the hammer from chewing holes in in the web of my had. Colt's mistake, not mine. The polished feed ramp let me shoot wadcutter target loads without a bobble. They say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can now say mine ain't broke.
Paul B.

·
Registered
S&W, Colt, Winchester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
Just saying, but I like the newer CNC machined 1911 over the earlier human machined guns.

That said, I like the older long rifles and revolvers 100% over the modern stuff. [/Just saying]

This is a replica of the old 0191A1. Colt called it a Model 01991 Tier III:

I think Colt did well with the 100th year anniversary 1911. It mostly looked like the older gun with its black oxide finish and the other stuff. I got mine 2nd hand but unfired (I fired it the next day).

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I regret not having purchased a full-sized Colt 1911 before the CA roster nonsense became law. For some reason, the 1911's I have are all compact; Officers ACP and a Seattle Detonics (before they started stamping them as Combat Master). Odd too is that I don't carry concealed.

The Colt has a Wilson full length guide rod and a short trigger. When I got the Detonics, the ejector was wobbily so I had to fit a new one. Other than that, it's factory stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Nice Colts. I have owned a good number of them over the years but only have one now, a Series 70 reproduction. Wish I could do something about the terrible sights but that stainless Gold Cup would probably be just the ticket. Hmm maybe something else for my bucket list..

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Nice collection .......always have had a Colt around.
Nice collection .......always have had a Colt around.
Very nice photos of those Colts. Thanks for sharing. I only have one Colt 1911 a pre-war National match .45 made in 1937. They only made them from 1930 to 1940. I bought it from one of my Jr. College profs that had carried it as a fraud agent for the ATF and bought it while in the Coast Guard .

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I like my 196x 1911. It has been tuned for wadcutters. A lot more accurate than I am.
I picked up a Rock Island. Those sights were like the originals. I put a wider 3 dot sight and the doggone things shoots hardball and everything else I feed it. Swapped out the safety for and ambi to accommodate my lefthand hold.

·
Registered
S&W, Colt, Winchester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to mention that my Series 70:

It had all the paperwork as I bought it new. It would not eject shells properly. Colt gave me a shipping label to send it back.

They fixed the problem quickly. The Colt guys went one step forward as they replaced the ejector part as well as installing a National Match barrel to a Series 70.

They sent me all the paperwork with the new ejector and the new barrel. It went to four guys and then shipped to me via FedEx One Day shipping. I was very surprised to get the paperwork and see it had the good N.M. barrel.

I paid $800 for the new pistol with the plastic box and two magazines. It is very good on the range.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
i found this pre 80 /70 series colt combat commander in a pawn shop one day somebody left there just for me. and it shoots as good as it looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
831 Posts
My pride and joy.
My uncle's 1942 Colt that came home with him from Germany. It is on, I think, it's third barrel as we all learned to shoot on this old dog. You don't have enough money....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those are very nice pieces of steel above.

I have a few Caspian Arms that I built myself.

Over the years I went practical when it comes to carrying or leaving one in the car. I went with a High Standard made by Armscor Philippines. Think about it, if you ever use it on someone, the police would take it for evidence and they may not treat it as well as you will or it may disappear from evidence. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts