Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father purchased a Colt 1903 25 cal. hammerless semi-auto last year from his deceased Brother's wife. His Brother at one tome had a huge collection of hand guns and rifles. When he passed his Wife requested that my Father and his surviving Brother come and remove them from the house because she was afraid of guns. When we went up there we found very few guns as he had sold or given most of them away. Any way he purchased quiet a few and this gun was one of them. This gun is pristine in condition and my Father said his Brother kept in his sock drawer wrapped up so his wife would not know it was in the house. Dad said he had there for over 40 years that he knew of. Dad mentioned yesterday that he would like to trade it for something else. And I told him to wait and let me see if I could find out a real value for it, because the store we where in doesn't do very good trades. Does anyone have any ideas what this gun might be worth. They where going by a Gun Digest book that his deceased Brother had at the house but I can't remember the name or Date of the edition, although I beleive it was a 2012 book. Everything pointed to the fact this gun was worth somewhere around $800.00. I just don't have much knowledge myself on the little semi-auto's. I'm personaly not fond of those little pocket pistol.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
That sounds about right. Not having a book in front of me. I can ask my freind tommorow what is in the up to date book. He has it right now. I pristine condition should bring top dallor. If you could find the box who knows. The serial # maybe find date of manufacture. I know i would love to have it or the 32 they made. A great pistol. If you shot it you probably wouldnt want to get rid of it. I was just looking for a site to post and realising you probably got a 1908 vest pocket in 25 cal They didnt make the 03 in 25 cal. But heres a link. There is alot more to the site click on some of the stuff on the left and find your gun. Got pictures , dates , how many were made them years and all kind of cool stuff.
Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 ACP Pistol Production Date - Coltautos.com

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Plumbernater is correct. If it is a .25 Vest Pocket Hammerless it's a Model 1908 and should look just like this...

$800 may be a bit high for a Model 1908 Vest Pocket, even in the condition you describe...however that's right in the ballpark for a 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32ACP and a bit light for a 1908 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP in similar condition. Make sure you're looking up the correct model as you continue research.

Roe

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I thought it was a 1903 but it diffiently is a 25 cal and looke like the one Barenjager posted pick of. I'll have to get more imfor so Dad can make a good in formed trade or sell. He has a carry concealed pirmit and would like a larger cal.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with Dad on the phone and he gave me the serial # 1350xx and told me it had 3 patent numbers on with the last one being Jan. 25th, 1910. He said he thought it was a 1908 model.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the link that plumbernator gave and it may be 1910 if I under stood the chart right. Its a fine little gun but I am not fond of the liitle guns. They have a habit of pinching the web of your hand. But in a life or death matter I think I would welcome a bleeding web rather than a attacker getting the best of my Father. Even at 83 I think one of his meat hooks would stop a charging rino quicker than that little gun. I have to say that as an Law enforcment Officer I have seen my share of what that liitle 25 can do someones brain.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Looks like the serial # indicates it was made in 1916. Started with 133850 that year. 1917 started with 155675. May be small in cal. but are real nice little autos. Work real good in a tight sitution. Up close and personal.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I always found it odd, they called the 380 version of the aforementioned 1903 model, a "1908" as well.

I have seen really clean 25's around the 6 range and up, with few buyers and they had a 380 1908 with walnut grips, genuinely mint in the box and papers ,(might have been the military model, I cant recall the difference offhand), sell for just under 4K at a recent local/net auction.

The age is starting to show on most of these old classics. Not sure I would trust one chamber loaded pointing at my jewels or not. Ol murphy is never far away in a deal like that.:biggrin:

·
Registered
422 Posts
As a collectable or heirloom worth a bit. As a shooter or actual defense piece it's of little value. I don't know of anybody or dealer who would give more than a $200 most likely less. A collector will give you much more. Great to find any older gun in such great condition. Good for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts