Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I had something that beautiful, I would not care what it was worth and would not sell it. That is just me, but once gone, I doubt you could replace it if you changed your mind. I have rarely regretted buying a gun, but have regretted selling one several times. Good luck withwhatever you decide to do.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd take that over the original any day, but I don't buy guns for resale, I buy them to use... and to admire I must admit. If I had yours, when I'm not shootin it, I'd be looking at it saying " aint she a pretty one?"

·
Registered
187 Posts
That would be major hurt to me . I don't like that style of stock on a bolt gun but I would hate it on a lever . Nothing wrong with it if you like it . I don't like high polish blue finishes on hunting guns and a refinish usually kills most if not all of the collector value . I'm not a collector , just a hunter and accumulator , but if I saw that in a store for more than $125 I would pass . It would cost too much to fix what to me is wrong with it .

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Yes, modifications hurt the collector value of guns, but that gun, even in original condition wasn’t a highly collectible gun. That said, the value with the modifications and the value in original condition is probably not substantially different.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an early 70's Glenfield 30a that my father in law had customized adding a deep blue polished finish and a Bishop walnut stock and forearm. I doubt it's fired more than 40 rounds. The action is tight yet smooth and the modifications appear to have been well done. I've had it for over 20 years. Question is do the modifications help the value of this rifle? Thoughts?

The pictures I have do not really reveal how nice the wood is. View attachment 867916
View attachment 867917
View attachment 867919
View attachment 867920
My 70s Glenfield was a really good shooter. If you don't hunt you might consider giving it a try. It would give you an enhanced appreciation of your firearm.
Also, since it has been modified, the higher comb of your buttstock would give you a better cheek weld for use with a scope. Stick to lower powered optics. Fixed 4x scope is good and a 1.5x to 4.5x variable or 2x to 6x variable would be optimal.
Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
All of my firearms are collectible in that each has a story that reminds me of its' history whether its handed down or where or when or how it was acquired, all have a story and fond memories of people and past hunts. I hardly ever sell a rifle, sometimes I give them away, it's not a business decision. If I were you I would accept the rifle for what it is, a beautifully finished firearm that meant something to your father-in-law and is something to remember him by. I would go out and put a few scratches on it by hunting and killing a few deer "in his honor", and maybe teach a younger family member how to shoot and hunt with it and pass it on as a family heirloom. Some might hang it on the mantle or put it in the safe forever. If that's a person's "thing" that's fine with me. I would use it and enjoy it for its' intended use, hunting, and pass it on someday. It has its' own story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All of my firearms are collectible in that each has a story that reminds me of its' history whether its handed down or where or when or how it was acquired, all have a story and fond memories of people and past hunts. I hardly ever sell a rifle, sometimes I give them away, it's not a business decision. If I were you I would accept the rifle for what it is, a beautifully finished firearm that meant something to your father-in-law and is something to remember him by. I would go out and put a few scratches on it by hunting and killing a few deer "in his honor", and maybe teach a younger family member how to shoot and hunt with it and pass it on as a family heirloom. Some might hang it on the mantle or put it in the safe forever. If that's a person's "thing" that's fine with me. I would use it and enjoy it for its' intended use, hunting, and pass it on someday. It has its' own story.
This is the best post in this thread John, makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks, as I get older, I get more reflective;) Oh, and I too have my dad's 250 sav, 1" groups at a 100 with factory ammo and 60 year old Simmons 4X....I don't know why the military picked 223 over a 250 or 257 Roberts. Weight of rounds would be insignificant. Have a Merry Christmas !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't mind it personally, but views on customizing rifles have changed, except of course for black rifles.
Just wondering about the stock finish, doesn't seem to be of Bishop quality, and you never really see varnish like that over checkering in my opinion??

21 - 32 of 32 Posts