Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Iowa and have been watching the cold and snow sweeping through the south. I often think about going to Oklahoma or Texas to hog hunt. My question to you guys that live and hunt in the south, "How has this cold and snow affected hog hunting?" Up here snow concentrates the whitetails and makes hunting easier if you know where the deer will go. Don't know if it would do the same with hogs or not. Just curious what you guys have been experiencing. Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
We just came thru our second heavy snow and below zero temps. Where I hunt here in Central Okieland the hawgs seem to lay up for a couple of days or so and don't come anywhere near the feeders or game cams. I figure they must get out and into the sun to warm up in the tall grass but haven't found the spots yet. We plan on going out tomorrow as the snow should be manageable and the tempsw are on the rise. We will check the feeders, cams etc. so I'll let you know what we find.

Hawgs, just like people need to acclimate and this weather is something we seldom experience around here. Now the deer seem to stay quite active as we see lots of sign around the feeders and lots of pics on the game cams.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
VTDW said:
We just came thru our second heavy snow and below zero temps. Where I hunt here in Central Okieland the hawgs seem to lay up for a couple of days or so and don't come anywhere near the feeders or game cams. I figure they must get out and into the sun to warm up in the tall grass but haven't found the spots yet. We plan on going out tomorrow as the snow should be manageable and the tempsw are on the rise. We will check the feeders, cams etc. so I'll let you know what we find.

Hawgs, just like people need to acclimate and this weather is something we seldom experience around here. Now the deer seem to stay quite active as we see lots of sign around the feeders and lots of pics on the game cams.
I posted that above after our first snow and really cold. We just went thru another one and look!! ::) ::)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
M700 said:
The white background sure makes them easy to see...
If I lived where there is lots of snow I could get away with a cheap scope eh? ;D ;D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VTDW,

Great pictures. What is the purpose of the barbed wire fence around your feeders? It certainly doesn't keep the pigs out.

Those are some nice big pigs from a hunter's perspective. From a farmer's perspective, I'd be sick from the damage those big pigs would do.

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Horsesoldier3,

I checked out the link and hog pictures of Shiloh. Nice hogs. I see they also hunt rams. Do you know if Shiloh is a fenced operation or not?

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
simangus said:
VTDW,

Great pictures. What is the purpose of the barbed wire fence around your feeders? It certainly doesn't keep the pigs out.

Those are some nice big pigs from a hunter's perspective. From a farmer's perspective, I'd be sick from the damage those big pigs would do.

Steve
Gotta keep out the cattle somehow bro. A couple of strands with the top one at crotch high usually does the trick...until some wize old heifer decites to just push on thru. ::) Also, you might notice on a feeder or two the spinner is wrapped buy a piece of aluminum. That keeps the feed inside the fence and away from the cattle.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VTDW,

That makes perfect sense. A couple of years ago I went hog hunting in Florida. The first stand the guide took me too was overlooking a feeder with two big old Brahma cross cows standing under it. Before I could ask how the hog hunting was going to work with two cows standing next to the feeder, the guide suggested he had another stand that I could try instead. I ended up shooting a nice meat hog with a 30-06 I rented from the guide. My wife didn't really think I would get a hog, but she should know by now I don't hunt just for fresh air. Hog hunting was a great addition to a fun family vacation. That is my only hog hunting experience so far, but no doubt I'll go again some day.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
We hunted north texas the first weekend in Feb after a pretty good storm, hogs didn't come to the feeders in the morning. I think it must've been the bitter cold. They did come to the feeders later in the morning though. We didn't have any trouble once it warmed up a bit. Everythings gotta get out and find some food. Shouldn't matter too much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts