Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do read on the forums here that guys are using and liking the Hornady .358 200 gr FTX in their .35 Remmy/336 leverguns. I want to try some out, and I'm wondering what the max C.O.A.L is with that bullet such that the 336 will feed it reliably. Any other tips or recipes for hand loading with that bullet would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought two boxes of the factory hornady leverevolution for my 336. It is extremely accurate. I have been able to reproduce the factory velocity with 41.8 grains of leverevolution powder and the hornady 200ftx.

Cycles and shoots great!

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Djones. Now do me a favor, please. Put a micrometer on one of them Hornadys and let me know what the length is. That'll save me from looking like a weirdo if I do it at Dick's/Walmart/LGS. Thanks.

I bought two boxes of the factory hornady leverevolution for my 336. It is extremely accurate. I have been able to reproduce the factory velocity with 41.8 grains of leverevolution powder and the hornady 200ftx.

Cycles and shoots great!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I load 200 gr FTX from 2.500" to 2.520".

My listed best load is (36.8gr IMR4064, Wolf primer, WW brass, V=1900+) and OAL is 2.510".

I'm shooting a 1977 model 336. Faster speeds can be obtained using AA2520, but I'm not at a developed load yet with that powder.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
As long as the bullet is crimped in the cannelure and the case does not exceed that maximum SAAMI spec of 1.1910" the OAL will be fine, as it will be below the 2.55-2.57" maximum the 336 action will accept. Works great at that length.

Since this bullet has deeper seating and a longer bearing surface than 200 RN's it must not be assumed that pressures are the same when the same loads are used. They may very well not be.

LVR is rather slow for the 35 Remington and does not show its best in the 35 Remington until the 200 FTX and 220 Speer are used. It may very well be the best powder available for the 220 Speer in terms of velocity for the pressure produced. With the 200 FTX it shows equivalent to higher velocity than other powder choices at quite low pressure, tested extensively by yours truly.

Read if you wish. Explains exactly why that is so.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/r...mance-leverevolution-powder-35-remington.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts