Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year bow season, while walking to my stand at 5AM, I started hearing hogs in the distance. It was pitch black and I usually walk in and out without using a light. I was about mid way to the stand from my vehicle and had another two hundred yards to go. It was obvious to me that we were getting closer coming from my right. When I finally got to my stand they were within five yards. I took the first step up on the ladder when they hit the ladder several times while I was climbing up. I couldnt see them, because it was so dark but it sounded like a pretty big group of pigs. It seemed to me that they were actually coming after me especially when they hit the ladder and got more vocal. My question, did I just happen to cross the path they were on or were they heading toward me on purpose? The closest Game trail was another 20 to 25 yards farther up.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I hunt them almost exclusively at night and have had a close call or two. If the dominant hawg was after you some of the others could have followed suit. Hawgs are like humans in that sometimes we run into a crazy one. That is why I always have a great light and the. 44Mag on my hip when hunting.

Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

During Bow season its illigal to carry a gun during hunting season so I try and follow the law to the best of my ability. The reason I dont use a light is so my eyes will fully adjust by the time I get to the stand and can make those early shots. Before this happened I was only worred about one animal while walking at night and Its a little thing thats black/white (Peppy La Pue) but can truely ruin a good weekend of hunting. HA! I have killed four big boars between 300 and 400lbs on this place. Being caught on the ground with only a bow, facing a group of hogs is not really what Im looking for. Think I will change my stratagy in the future.

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Chris,

I have quit hunting deer and regularly watch huge bucks at night with the NVRS. During deer season here I just don't hunt as my lease partner is the deer hunter and I only do things to support his deer hunting during that time of the year. And night hunting is illegal here during deer seasons. Besides, the best hawg hunting here is Jan-April. That gives me a bit of thumb twiddling time. ;D I do keep a log from the camera cards and hunt individual hawgs even during the summer but not too often.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
It took years but PA finally allowes you carry a handgun with a bow.. but it must be for protecton .. not a hunting arm.. ( ex 1911 .. glocks ok they are not legal for hunting ,, BFR or scoped , single action rugers .. NOT allowed..)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Chis,

Sounds interesting, were you in the stand the night before and leave something that might have attracted them to the ladder area, crumbs or any other items they would be looking for? I would tend to think that you just crossed paths but not sure, obviously you have the stand in a great location. I have never hunted hogs but hunted several javelinas but certain they are different and they are much smaller.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Janott it was actually my first time in the stand that weekend.

In Oklahoma they dont allow you to carry a gun but as the numbers increase maybe they will change the law in Oklahoma also. To me its easy enough to tell if the animal was taken by gun or bow. Especially since you are required to check the animal in at check stations. (Deer)

Dave, I went after one individual hog early last year (Big Boy) and was fortunate to get him. He only went maybe twenty feet. I attached a picture. Shot him with my bow during gun season (Hence the orange)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Wow!!! That's a keeper for the stringer. :D

Do you ever go to Texasboars.com? I love that site and consider it the premier hawg hunting site around. There are bigger sites but.....

Ever coming up this way gimme a shout as ya never know.

Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check it out. Likewise if your ever down this way. Live in Texas, Born and hunt in Oklahoma. Better after deer season but at that point anything is possible. I know the weather will be cooler.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Chis said:
Janott it was actually my first time in the stand that weekend.

In Oklahoma they dont allow you to carry a gun but as the numbers increase maybe they will change the law in Oklahoma also. To me its easy enough to tell if the animal was taken by gun or bow. Especially since you are required to check the animal in at check stations. (Deer)

Dave, I went after one individual hog early last year (Big Boy) and was fortunate to get him. He only went maybe twenty feet. I attached a picture. Shot him with my bow during gun season (Hence the orange)
In Oklahoma you can now do an online check-in at home through the Department of Wildlife website. :)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Pappy said:
In Oklahoma you can now do an online check-in at home through the Department of Wildlife website. :)
Yeah, and then drive all the way down for a great time and then drive all the way back up, I dunno. ;D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
But we are sooo much fun to be around. Fly!!!

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Chris,

Not to say breaking the law is a good thing, but in your case I would carry a side arm out to your stand. If your on your own property or lease I do not see why anyone would bother you about carrying a pistol for self protection.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
janott said:
Yeah, and then drive all the way down for a great time and then drive all the way back up, I dunno. ;D
Go to the library and use their computer then go back to camp....hahaha ;)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Utah just recently OK'd carrying a pistol while bowhunting IF you are a CCW holder. I carry a Freedom Arms '97 .45 Colt with heavy hardcast loads "everytime" I am in the mountains. Black bear is "booger in the woods" here, and like hogs, unpredictable. I say you had a "close call". A determined sow can ruin your chances on "Dancing with the Stars"! You could use a green LED light and not hurt your nightvision too. What broadhead do you use on those hogs BTW? I am slinging SilverFlames at elk in Septemeber this year.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Pappy said:
Go to the library and use their computer then go back to camp....hahaha ;)
Naw, I like to go to the mountains to get away from every day life and if I could the computer would be the first thing to go next to the TV. Oklahoma really is not that far from here depending on where at in the state I would have to drive. I have family in Southern NM that I visit and hunt while there and I'm sure it is not much further of a drive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Preacher, Thought about the green light but never did get one. As for the broadheads, I use muzzy 225 mx3. They always seem to do the job. I own the land and Im a CCW holder but for that I dont think it would make a difference. Good luck on the Elk Hunt!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
225's? You shoot a recurve or do you just like heavy arrows? ( I'm partial to heavy, ) kept my Alaskan Grizzly Stiks when I went to compound use. ("Older" now, besides, I was never very good w/recurve!) I am shooting Sitkas with 125gr SF. I get 250fps with a 500+ grainer.
I went to Bible School in Broken Arrow, worked like a "dawg" drivng semis at night for Rainbow Baking Company, hauling millions of loaves of bread to bottomless pit depots/grocery stores! ha. I was there three years, never hunted, but used the range out by Wagoner to shoot a little. Hot/humid or cold/pneumonia weather, with a few "days" of spring/Fall in between, ha.
Janott- its a long way to OK from where you are. Period. Just get you some road snacks, and get after it! Be sure to drive through Kansas at night time though....you will feel like a gerbal on a wheel,all that flat prairie/wheat feilds, seems like you are getting nowhere, fast!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I remember..."Rainbow is real bread...Rainbow is good bread."

·
Registered
830 Posts
preacher said:
Utah just recently OK'd carrying a pistol while bowhunting IF you are a CCW holder. I carry a Freedom Arms '97 .45 Colt with heavy hardcast loads "everytime" I am in the mountains. Black bear is "booger in the woods" here, and like hogs, unpredictable. I say you had a "close call". A determined sow can ruin your chances on "Dancing with the Stars"! You could use a green LED light and not hurt your nightvision too. What broadhead do you use on those hogs BTW? I am slinging SilverFlames at elk in Septemeber this year.
It is legal to carry in OK during archery and muzzleloader season as well as long as we are complying with our concealed carry act. That includes a license and carrying the pistol concealed.

Corbi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts