Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new here & have another question. Let me start out by saying I don't know about guns or gun related things. I was given old ammo & other items and since have been researching it all. This picture is one of said items. During my research I found a video explaining the difference between "clips" and "magazines." According to the video this is a magazine. So my question is: Why does it say "Colyer Clip"??:hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,069 Posts
That, Ma'am, technically, is a 'magazine'. Technically, 'clips' or 'stripper clips' are used to fill magazines. Magazines can be removable, like your picture, or they can be an integral part of a gun. IE: Marlin Lever Actions, many sporting bolt actions, and the US M1 rifle. 'Clip' is colloquially used interchangeably with 'magazine' by those using slang or not being precise in their choice of words. 'Clip' is easier to say with one third the syllables. Your example, 'COLYER', may have been playing on both words beginning with the letter 'C'. Hope this helps, welcome to MO. our kindest regards, AC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gunscrewguy :) On the video it showed the difference and I have both clips and magazines. I was just baffled as to why they stamped clip on this one. May be the age or "Colyer" just wanted to confuse people like me :biggrin: hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Gunscrew's explanation is pretty much what you need.

As a rule of thumb, magazines surround or encase the cartridge. Be it a removable like a handgun or AR, a tube like most Marlin lever actions, or a fixed internal box like many bolt action rifles.

Clips generally hold the cartridges by the base or rim, exposing most of the cartridge. Some guns feed clips directly like the M1 Garand. Most clips are used to fill magazines either when the magazine is separate (AR, M1 Carbine) or when the magazine is attached or internal (Springfield 1903, SKS, K-31, Mauser, ect).

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Most likely, Colyer was ignorant to the difference between the two.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
The Colyer Clip was an aftermarket brand of magazines. There were versions for rifles like the Remington 740/760 and also floor plate adapters for bolt action rifles of the day, all of which gave additional capacity.

The magazine shown looks to be one of the 8rnd magazine for the Remmie pumps/autos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys :) these are clips
the Colyer I posted before is a magazine ;) Got it :) So now does the 270 30-06 200 mean the calibers it can hold? Or is it for a remington 760 pump rifle like gunrunner_m4_1911 stated?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Don't know what the 200 means but the .270 and 30-06 are the same case so I'd assume yes. I can't say which rifle it's for. This is a great website with lot of helpful folks but you might want to check Remington owners forum for that one.
They seem to be kind of obscure, not much info out there on them.

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
anyone know?
Hey Miss Dragon Fly,

For both the Remington 760 and 7600 (new improved version), the magazines for the .270 and 30-06 are the same. (the .270 Winchester is a "necked down" 30-06, the same OAL for both)

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: DragonflyLady

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know what the 200 means but the .270 and 30-06 are the same case so I'd assume yes. I can't say which rifle it's for. This is a great website with lot of helpful folks but you might want to check Remington owners forum for that one.
thank you grilla720 :)

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Reactions: DragonflyLady

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I agree that looks like a magazine for Remington 760?, and as said the 270/30-06 is the caliber, the 200 :hmmmm:
Those clips are for the 30M1 Carbine, I've got about two hand fulls of them.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Blame Marlin for the confusion.

I've heard removable box magazines called "clips" since I can remember, and the clips that do not enclose the rounds called "stripper clips", which I assumed was a sub-type of "clip". Merriam Webster supports this notion. Bear in mind that most dictionaries are "descriptive" rather than "prescriptive", meaning they merely report current usage rather than try to dictate how a word is used.

"Clip noun

: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook

: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm"

If you look at Remington's website, they also refer to their removable magazines as "magazine clips".

Gun Parts - Magazine Clips - Remington Gun Parts

So, in the stricter sense, would this qualify as a clip?

speedloaders.jpg

And then there are those curved, high capacity magazines commonly referred to as "banana clips"

banana_magazine.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,450 Posts
And then there are those curved, high capacity magazines commonly referred to as "banana clips"
Caution! The banana clip shown only fires one round. It's most often used when hunting apes and monkeys. And it's messy.

I couldn't resist. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts