Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have been looking around the internet and did some searching but the Marlin XT-22 is so new that nobody really has any information about them. here is my question, i just bought a xt-22, great gun, open sighted it is very accurate and comfortable to shoot. i want more than a 7 round clip, i have found a 25 rounder but i think i will pass on that but i did find some 15 rounders at sportsmans guide that basically look just like a factory mag but a bit longer. here is my question, will a mag for a model 70 or 795 mag fed not tube mag fed work with a xt-22? thanks in advance, and if no information i may buy one and see if it works, if not i am only out 15 bucks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Run AWAY from those National Magazine Mags from Sportsman's Guide...

Do a search on National Magazine Marlin mags, you'll quickly see why.
I've got two of 'em, only ONE works, after much modification, even in the intended rifle.

Its' probable that you could make it work, but you better be really good at modifying mags...
if you own an old High Standard Pistol & have monkey'd with those mags, you're probably a good candidate ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the sportsman's guide mags are crap, or are they just crap on the 795? i have a xt-22, bolt action so i only need it to be able to feed up a round when i slide the bolt forward. i have also found a shooters ridge 25 round mag for the 795 but i just need to know if it will work with the xt-22.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=639354 <--link for the 25 round.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any marlin clip will fit in the XT-22. I have some experience with ram-line 25 round plastic clips, using them in a model 70 autoloader.(more than 20 years ago) I found them to be too fragile for normal usage as they would separate at the top and had to be super-glued back together. A pocket full of 10 shot clips suited me better. There are two different clips available, but they will both work in a bolt action. The difference is a slot that is required in latest model autoloaders to accommodate last shot bolt hold open feature. The ramline 25 would not seat in the XT-22.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
TSD,

The XT-22 will use the same mags as their previous 900 series rifles. The only changes in the XT series are the bolt , fire control system and the new stocks.

Tom

Reactions: NiraBlue

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Marlin makes a 10-shot mag for all their guns. Maybe eventually they will make a longer one but I find carrying a few loaded mags in my pocket is fine, for a day of hunting.

Just be careful of your local laws. Back in MD, a loaded magazine was considered a "loaded gun". I carried that knowledge, with me, to Idaho and got a concealed carry permit, specifically to get around that law (which it turns out, Idaho does not have).

And there have been times when I loaded the magazines the night before and then left them on the counter, next to my lunch and went hunting. Gah. I swear. Kitchen tables are one of my biggest enemies. They keep so much of my stuff, I have tended toward storing ammo in the truck, just in case. With a CCP I can also freely leave one-two loaded mags in there.

I've never wanted more than a 7-shot magazine although it is nice to hunt with a Marlin tube mag gun that holds seemingly half a box. In fact, if they'd had them, at the time, I'd certainly have gotten several 4-round mags. In the woods, the 7-rounders can bang on things and damage themselves. Especially when you find a nice downed tree to sit behind that overlooks a prairie dog town. Every time I'd see a PD, I'd be so focused, I'd slide the gun forward and bonk the magazine. I'd whisper "Sorry magazine" and continue the game of giving PDs .22 caliber brain aneurisms.

There was a cut-off tree branch right where I sat and I always wanted to carve something on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts