Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been trying to get the barrel clean for a while now but can't seem to get it as squeaky clean as I would like.

I put a few hoppes 9 patches through and let them soak, then I put a bore brush through about 10 times. I patched that out with a .30 jag and then let Gunslick foaming bore cleaner sit for an hour. I patched that out and the patches looked pretty clean. Just to make sure it was clean I brushed it again about 6 times and the patch came out completely black.

I went through that process twice and every time I ran the brush through the next patch came out black. I used a brand new brush just to make sure that wasn't the problem. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm making a rookie mistake. Thanks!

stddhh11

·
Registered
105 Posts
How many shots since last cleaning? My 308 has been cleaned about 15 times in it's first 200 rounds. It accumulates powder that I remove with GM Top End engine cleaner, wet patches, and a bronze brush. Slop it in and let set awhile, patch out, slop more in, brush more, and so on until patches come out clean. Very dirty process. Clean the brush with lighter fluid, etc. after each use. Then start with copper remover, I use sweets, let soak awhile, another wet one and so on until patch is clean. My barrel takes about 10 wet sweet patches, I leave it for a day usually (I know, not approved use), between each patch. I lay an old cut off jeans leg over the stock to catch the over drips. When this is all done, you may decide that 90% of shooters consider cleaning every 400 rounds, or until accuracy drops off, is better. I was kinda leaning that way myself, but old habits are hard to break. You may want to try some abrasive cleaner as well. My barrel is a looonng way from a quality hand lapped barrel, and accumulates crud, esp. copper, very effectively, it seems. BTW, after you get the carbon out, shine a bright light into the muzzle and behold the copper mine on the lands and grooves. I'm still waiting for the barrel to break-in, but not holding my breath. The chamber should also be cleaned, mopped out, when finished. Use a cleaning rod guide also.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm one of the ones that does a basic cleaning, either at the end of the season or when accuracy drops off (whichever comes first), but I'm not overly worried about it being "spotless". Keep in mind most barrels, mine included, shoot better when they have a little fouling in them... You go through all the trouble to get it spotless, only to have to shoot it a few times just to get the accuracy back.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hoppe's 9 is slightly better at removing fouling, than spit.
Using one of the newer chemistry water based products will blow your hair back at how quick they work.

And unless you lose accuracy, don't be one of THEM that clean for the sake of cleaning..... How many people vacuum their carpet EVERY stinking time they walk across it??!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been trying to get the barrel clean for a while now but can't seem to get it as squeaky clean as I would like.

I put a few hoppes 9 patches through and let them soak, then I put a bore brush through about 10 times. I patched that out with a .30 jag and then let Gunslick foaming bore cleaner sit for an hour. I patched that out and the patches looked pretty clean. Just to make sure it was clean I brushed it again about 6 times and the patch came out completely black.

I went through that process twice and every time I ran the brush through the next patch came out black. I used a brand new brush just to make sure that wasn't the problem. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm making a rookie mistake. Thanks!

OP asked how to clean his barrel. I offered some tips. Guess I am one of THEM, LMAO:biggrin:.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here is what I use.

Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out Brushless Foaming Bore Cleaning Solvent 5oz

It's lke the ronco showtime rotisarrie. Set it and forget it.
BAM! I will times-two this post. Once I used Wipe-Out I forgot about every other bore cleaner. I foam up the bore before I leave the range or desert and leave it sit for a few hours. I patch out the gunk until the patch comes clean. I used to run a patch of hoppes and a couple extra dry patches after but after a few times I found that pointless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts