Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the media in my tumbler today. I have used brass polish in the past. I am just using corn cob media and nothing else today. I'm going to run it for 4-6 hours.

Any opinions on adding stuff to your media?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tell ya truth T-bone I prefer walnut shell media with flitz brass polish. Seldom need more than one hour to shine up stuff. Corn cob media takes too long for my taste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use walnut shells and no polish. I tumble for three hours and am perfectly satisfied with the result. I have not tried corn yet, but I have some and will give it a try when my supply of walnut shells runs out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Everyone wants clean brass and that's good. Purty polish is eye candy, no more. Depends on the volume you need if it's worth buying a tumbler or not, none of us had those devices before maybe 30 years ago and we shot nice groups. I have a tumbler just because I got it cheep and it's easier than cleaning by hand. I've done the glittery ammo thing but quit because it's too 'artificial' for my taste, I just use plain cob now. From a practical view, there is too little difference between cob and nut to matter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a 50/50 cob/walnut mix. It doesn't take any longer and gives a better shine. I throw in a cap full of polish every now an then, along with a splash of mineral spirits.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently I had too much polish in my old walnut media before. I just ran some old brass for 4 hours in corn cob w/ nothing added and it looks new. I'm a believer!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Occasionally put a little liquid car polish in with the walnut shells to give them that little extra sparkle.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Lyman makes an additive to put in the corn cob to recharge it so to speak. This is wet and the media needs to be tumbled a long time to dry it before adding brass.

I find a tablespoon of Bon Ami (without chemicals) works well as a recharger for each load.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Swany,everytime I see the product,Bon Ami, I think of Don Knotts and The Ghost and Mr Chicken, would Comet do the same thing? Tks. T REX

·
Registered
522 Posts
Fuzzball said:
Purty polish is eye candy, no more.
Have to disagree on that, shiny brass is so much easier than dull tarnished to find on the ground, in the rocks, grass, weeds, etc. when you police it up after firing. I hate to leave any brass.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tom in Arizona said:
Have to disagree on that, shiny brass is so much easier than dull tarnished to find on the ground, in the rocks, grass, weeds, etc. when you police it up after firing. I hate to leave any brass.
I,m so crazy about purdy brass I even tumble the new stuff. Just me.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
T REX said:
Swany,everytime I see the product,Bon Ami, I think of Don Knotts and The Ghost and Mr Chicking, would Comet do the same thing? Tks. T REX
No, they have additives in them. Most will have ammonia or chlorine bleach in them. Bon Ami has two kinds one with one without.

It is a light abrasive and does not give the ultimate shine but it does help corn cob media clean again.

I do like the walnut, but have other things I polish that need an ultimate shine and the corn cob does that after I clean it with the walnut.

Just an added bonus to the media it makes good filler for bench bags when it needs replacing. Corn cob works well as an additive to kitty litter for oil spills and such in the garage after that it does burn in the firepit, would not recommend cooking while it's burning.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Anyone here ever tried using steelwool? This is all I"ve used for many years. I have a 18volt drill that I lightly chuck the cases in, given a quick spin holding the steelwool to it, presto, you have nice shiney, smooth case with no mess.

riflerick

·
Premium Member
18,092 Posts
Fuzzball said:
Purty polish is eye candy, no more.

I've done the glittery ammo thing but quit because it's too 'artificial' for my taste, I just use plain cob now.
I tumble my brass for a long time..............24 hours is about average. I use polish if the media's getting dark, otherwise just run walnut media with a little water in it, I think it helps loosen the dirt on the brass.

Glittery? I have to admit I like shiny brass, but not for the "eye candy" effect, I consider it a major aid to case inspection, which I feel is one of the most overlooked aspects of reloading. Here's why................http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,43346.0.html

I'm not sure what's "artificial" about using clean components. ???

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts
I first dip the cases in Iosso Brass Case Cleaner [follow the instruction] I did use corn media for years but decided to give walnut media a try. I do use a polish but very little to keep the media dust down and the cases do look great.

I'm polishing 60 cases of 308ME at this moment and I will come back to this post with the resulting pictures.

T 8) NY

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive found that any good auto polish (not wax) that is also a cleaner will work good. Right now I have some Meguiars cleaner and it works as good or better than Brasso.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts