Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this post is in the wrong spot, please move it where you think its better suited.
I learned the value of flannel (two sided if possible) cleaning patched a long, long time ago and that's all I use for my firearms.
About a year ago I decided to try a batch of the triangle patches for my rifles and handguns. I'm sold on them! They work as advertised, don't come off the jag as easily as round or square patches, and do an outstanding job of cleaning the bore.
Anybody else tried these patches?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Around my house store bought cleaning patches were a luxury like rolled wiping paper. My dad ground the teeth off hole saws. The chucked them up and sharpened them in lathe. Use without pilot bit. We would stack material up about 2 inches thick and nail it to a board. Then cut patches in drill press. Used flannel and cotton.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I bought one of those wheel knife cutters and the board used by quilters.

I can cut up fabric about 10 layers thick on one pass of the knife. The board is printed in 1" squares and is designed not to dull the knife.

I can cut about 1000 patches, any size I want, in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If this post is in the wrong spot, please move it where you think its better suited.
I learned the value of flannel (two sided if possible) cleaning patched a long, long time ago and that's all I use for my firearms.
About a year ago I decided to try a batch of the triangle patches for my rifles and handguns. I'm sold on them! They work as advertised, don't come off the jag as easily as round or square patches, and do an outstanding job of cleaning the bore.
Anybody else tried these patches?

WYT-P
Skyhunter
I have never tried the triangle patches, where did you find them? I have been using bulk 100% cotton flannel square patches from Brownells. Never found anything that works better than cotton flannel.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drm50 & HiKayaker - I used to cut my own patches from whatever was available - as long as it was 100% cotton (NO Synthetics.).
I've even bought material (ever tried to FIND double knapped 100% cotton flannel at a reasonable price?) to cut up for patches. It's possible, but to me, not cost efficient. My time can be better spent on other pursuits like casting bullets or reloading ammunition or working in the garden or cooking a special meal for my Bride.
If you have the time, material, tools, and feel the need to cut your own patches - well then, Bless yore heart - you're welcome to it. For myself, I'll spend a few bucks for pre-washed, flannel patches in bulk. Works for me.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have store bought patches but my wife does fabric covered Styrofoam balls ornaments and has two rolling fabric cutters; one freehand and one on a track. I'll make my own going forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts