Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody like me use old T shirts for patch mtl ? They can be kinda thick and I was wondering how the caliber specific jags like Boretech or Montana Xtreme fit - that is, for a 3030 would the 30 cal jag be too tight with Tshirt patch or maybe the 270 jag would be better. Same for 35Rem, maybe the .338 jag better? thanks Ken

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I have never had a problem with caliber specific jags when using them in the caliber for which they were specified. That said, some patch material is heavier than my t-shirts and end up being really snug. Still I have never had a problem except some are tougher to get through the bore than others. I think your .30 caliber jag would be good in your.30-30, and the .357 jag in your .35 Rem.

If all else fails, invest in some caliber appropriate pre-cut patches (perhaps, just a small, 100 ct. or 250 ct. bag to start with), in case your t-shirts are too thick.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thats all I use,I just use a jag thats smaller than cal. with t- shirt patch to push the crud out and then use a cal. specific to clean the barrel than go behind that with the smaller jag and patch.

·
Registered
522 Posts
As an alternative to a solid metal jag, try using a sprial wire Tornado brush, they make them in rifle and pistol calibers, and wrap your patch around that. Will fit your bore with almost any material and will give good contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts