Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might just as well ask this one while I'm at it.......

For those of you that dont use a tumbler how do you clean your cases? I'm trying to go without the tumbler until I get the other pieces together (like a chrony...another 100clams it seems) but still want to clean 'em up nice for the dies and appearance.

Perferator

·
Registered
957 Posts
Cleaning ain't all that necessary. Some folks use steel wool in various methods, but I have come to be more concerned about the bits of steel wool than I am about the other stuff that might be on the case.

If you're the handy sort, you can cobble up a home brew tumbler, either vibratory or rotary, for a very few bucks.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
By hand--BRASSO.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The old NRA formula will work just fine. I sometimes still use it when I have an exceptionally tarnished lot:

Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, add a small squirt of dish soap. Formula works faster if hot, but cold is fine too. Add brass to solution and let soak 1 hour, swirling on occasion. Rinse in fresh water. Shake in an old towel to remove most moisture. Spread to dry.

Though not required, I like to decap before I use wet cleaning. Call me anal, but I like to be sure that no moisture is hiding in the primer pocket waiting to give me a squib load.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IntrepidWizard said:
By hand--BRASSO.

I'd like to use Brasso as well but isnt there something about ammonia based stuff that causes a surface brittleness on brass? I'm using these rounds in 45-70.

imashooter2, good tip and thought.

Perferator

·
Registered
729 Posts
I use a case spinner from Lee that will chuck up in a 3/8in. drill. If they are really tarnished or dirty start with a green Scotch pad, when most of the tarnish is gone switch over to 0000 steel wool for final polish. Looks like a brand new case when done. I'm a tight-wad and hate to spend the money for a case tumbler and not a competive shooter so I don't have a bunch of brass to do at one time. :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
No Brasso.

Over time Brasso weakens brass.

Dunno how much time and ain't planning on finding out.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leftoverdj said:
No Brasso.

Over time Brasso weakens brass.

Dunno how much time and ain't planning on finding out.

At the very least it may cause splitting at the crimp from the pressure, that's a trouble spot anyway.

I'm not sure about the "ammonia" thing but I've heard it more than a few times....dont know if it's internet parroting or for real.

Perferator

·
Registered
957 Posts
Perf, all I know is that the Army ordered that the brass fire extinquishers be left unpolished because some had become so weak they split when they were used. This was late '60s.

When the Army will let the troops get away with not polishing something that can be polished, there's a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leftoverdj said:
Perf, all I know is that the Army ordered that the brass fire extinquishers be left unpolished because some had become so weak they split when they were used. This was late '60s.

When the Army will let the troops get away with not polishing something that can be polished, there's a serious problem.

Interesting point :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts