Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dillon make a case cleaning solution that you add to your polishing media. Only a cap-full is required.

As with all of Dillon's products it works great.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
NYBow

I started with Corn Cob media at first with a liquid polish compound added each use. When I ran out of the liquid polish compound I switched to Walnut Hull media. I have not looked back. The stuff even cleans the primer pockets in a hour. I only use the sonic wash with BP cases to get the crud out before putting them in the Walnut media.

The Walnut media leaves a satin finish not a high polish finish. I learned a long time ago that the more shine brass has the faster it seems to tarnish.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Does anybody have a cheap source for the SS pins? I remember them being pricey last time I looked them up online
When I started cleaning with SS pins, STM was the only game in town (https://stainlesstumblingmedia.com). I don't recall how much I paid for a 5lb. bag.

I will say that while $40 +shipping seems expensive, the stuff doesn't seem to lose its effectiveness over time where one has to find cheap alternatives (like using walnut media sold at the pets stores).

If you're careful with handling, you won't lose pins down the drain either. I use a 10" double mesh strainer I got at the restaurant supply store to separate the pins from the water but it's not ideal. The pins are 0.039" in diameter - a few of the pins get past the double mesh. A laboratory sieve with a 25 mesh (US) would be a better option.

I don't know what would make for the price difference of inexpensive vs. expensive pins. I would guess that a roll of SS wire is fed through a cutting machine so there's little manual labor going on. It must be the type of stainless material? The STM pins are magnetic; I've contemplated using a pickup magnet to separate the pins from the brass/water.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts