Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had this box of various brass kicking around the basement for a couple of years. I finally decided to do something with it. It turns out to be a good amount of some 7mm & 300. Enough for me to clean and sell. I sorted it all out and threw it in the tumbler with some Lyman media. I left in for hours. When I checked it, it was still all tarnished and dirty looking. Hmm. I figure ill try and clean in my new sonic cleaner. I didn't have any of the brass cleaning solution so I went online to order some. While online I came across Cabela's corn cob media with polish. I also found that if I wanted to sonic clean I needed to de-prime all the brass. Well it was a rainy day yesterday so off to Cabela's we go. Went to the E. Hartford Ct. store. That was a big disappointment. They (Bass Pro) are driving that store onto the ground. No more Bargin Cave, Prices threw the roof on a lot of things, they even put in a toy area,really disappointing. Any way's back to the brass. I picked what I needed, some reloading components along with a box of the Cabela's corn cob media kit ( 15.99 ) and some sonic cleaner brass cleaner to have. As soon as I got home I loaded up the new media added the right amount of polish and loaded it with some brass. I let it run for about 2 hours. Well I have to say, I was impressed. The brass looked new. I don't know why the Lyman media didn't clean it this well. I even tried adding cleaners to the tumbler with the Lyman stuff. So if you are in need some new media, I highly recommend the Cabela's stuff.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Yes, Cabelas has changed and not for the better since Bass Pro took over. In the ultrasonic cleaner I use hot water, dish detergent and Lemi-Shine. And depriming first get you clean primer pockets.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
If you want your brass to be bright and shiny new looking hard to be a wet tumbler with SS pins and lemishine. I've got a media tumbler from Frankfort Arsenal and use dry media plus Lyman polish and copper plated BB's. Works very well for me.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I have a Lyman Media Tumbler that I use with SS pins, a drop of dawn, and a little Lemi-shine. I works wonderfully. I do ultrasonically clean once in a while too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I cut a drier sheet into 1" strips and add to corn cob media to remove the fine's.

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
I had a commercial small parts cleaner that had 6 pots with screen baskets in them. It was sonic and agitated as it automatically rotated. I got it to clean fishing reels when I was in bussiness. I cleaned brass in it with the consentrate used by HVac guys to clean AC coils and it did a good job of cleaning. The brass came out cleaner than a whistle but dull. I was shining it in vibrator but decided I didn't care if it had a shine on it and dropped that process. I sold it because it took up to much space. Now I use Birchwood case cleaner in the vibrator and it does just as well, no shine either.

·
Registered
733 Posts
So, I had this box of various brass kicking around the basement for a couple of years. I finally decided to do something with it. It turns out to be a good amount of some 7mm & 300. Enough for me to clean and sell. I sorted it all out and threw it in the tumbler with some Lyman media. I left in for hours. When I checked it, it was still all tarnished and dirty looking. Hmm. I figure ill try and clean in my new sonic cleaner. I didn't have any of the brass cleaning solution so I went online to order some. While online I came across Cabela's corn cob media with polish. I also found that if I wanted to sonic clean I needed to de-prime all the brass. Well it was a rainy day yesterday so off to Cabela's we go. Went to the E. Hartford Ct. store. That was a big disappointment. They (Bass Pro) are driving that store onto the ground. No more Bargin Cave, Prices threw the roof on a lot of things, they even put in a toy area,really disappointing. Any way's back to the brass. I picked what I needed, some reloading components along with a box of the Cabela's corn cob media kit ( 15.99 ) and some sonic cleaner brass cleaner to have. As soon as I got home I loaded up the new media added the right amount of polish and loaded it with some brass. I let it run for about 2 hours. Well I have to say, I was impressed. The brass looked new. I don't know why the Lyman media didn't clean it this well. I even tried adding cleaners to the tumbler with the Lyman stuff. So if you are in need some new media, I highly recommend the Cabela's stuff.

If you would like to see how REALLY CLEAN and SHINY NEW they can get, pick up a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. You will never look back. I forgot how many pounds of brass it will effectively tumble, but know it is quite a lot.
Just don't fall for the hype about a " drier " either. Just spread the brass out on a dry towel and it will all be bone dry in an hour or so. No spots.
There is a big advantage to decapping your brass before tumbling. Those primer pockets come out looking unused. I ain't kidding.

Order a universal decapper die if you do not have one.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you want your brass to be bright and shiny new looking hard to be a wet tumbler with SS pins and lemishine. I've got a media tumbler from Frankfort Arsenal and use dry media plus Lyman polish and copper plated BB's. Works very well for me.

Thanks. I am going to try the copper plated BB route next time. Those tiny stainless steel pins are a pain.

Reactions: CWT

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that's what mine is. ( the cables stuff) works pretty well. Good enough for me anyway. Can remember how long I have had it. Been in my garage forever it seems. I had some stuff originally that I didn't care for , I think that was crushed walnut media.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Several years ago; I tried a Hornady wet sonic cleaner, along with a bottle of their cleaning solution. I caught it on sale and thought I would give it a try. The sonic cleaner worked reasonable well but was nothing to write home about. I was limited with the amount of brass it would clean at a given time. After the cleaning was completed I began to notice that the brass would tarnish and would have to be run through my tumbler. Finally decided it wasn't worth the trouble and traded it a set of dies. When I clean brass now I use a tumbler with a dab of Lyman's brass polish. For media I've been using Zilla brand ground walnut hulls. Before I tried the sonic cleaner; I bought the walnut hulls (10 quart bag) for about $5.00 and still have plenty left. As long as the walnut hulls are kept in a climate controlled area they will last forever. Brass comes out bright and shiny, ready to be primed and loaded.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Yup SS media for me with lemonshine and soap is turtlewax car car wash, excellent finish on final product.

Reactions: 25/20Marlin

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I add one ounce of mineral spirits mixed with one ounce of Nu Finish car polish to media. Run it for 20 minutes before putting the brass in. Works great. Clean inside and out in less time.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Been reloading for over 30 years now. Wet tumblers are the way to go. Once you use one you will never go back to all that noise and mess.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I went to buy some lemishine but found out there is about 50 different products are called lemishine. This may be a dumb question but what type of lemishine should I use in my wet tumbler.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I went to buy some lemishine but found out there is about 50 different products are called lemishine. This may be a dumb question but what type of lemishine should I use in my wet tumbler.
Any liquid spot remover for dishwashers will work. I buy mine at the dollar type stores.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Not just clean but shiny brass. I have been using a sonic cleaner to clean my brass but thought I would give an old rock tumbler a chance and it works wonderful with ss pins, dish soap and Lemishine. I believe I put to many ss pins and brass but they sure do look good. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I went to BPS the other day to pickup a shell holder that I forgot to include in my Midway order - Midway is having an RCBS sale and free shipping over $50. Anytime shipping is free, it's a good thing. Especially when there's bullets involved.

Anyway, walking through the gun aisles for a bit I was staggered by sticker shock. My favorite .308 caliber Hornady bullets were at least $10-$14 higher than I remember. And the ammo aisles looked like Walmart. I thought I was going to see cosmetics behind all the locked glass.

Granted, it wasn't the weekend but the place was deserted. I think Turner's down the road a ways in Modesto might be worth the gas.

I consider myself lucky getting out of there with what I was looking for (#2 shell holder) and $11 lighter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts