Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just cleaned a model 60 that I found in the parents basement. This was the gun that I learned to shoot with, so I want to clean it up and get it back to working condition. I disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly. I'll post pics later. My question is where should I apply oil before I reassemble? Also, what is the best way to get rust off the barrel?

Thanks all,

thedoughnut

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've used a lead pencil .. on rust.. works ok.
ooooo steel wool and rem oil helps.
glad you dug up your old marlin 60 ..
I've bought several of them in pawn shops over the years.. some as cheep as 30 dollars..
once i cleaned them up . almost all of them shot excellent.
sleepers they are ! superb accuracy.
sadly they have become scarce in west central mo ....
enjoy thatweapon!

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I'd just really, REALLY lightly oil the bolt. ,

As for the barrel, get some oil and a #3 or #4 hard pencil (drafting pencil). The lead (graphite) is harder than a regular #2 writing pencil. Put some oil on the rust, and then rub on it with the pencil. Takes awhile, but eventually it safely removes the rust.

0000 steel wool? Yes, it removes rust, but it can take off all the bluing in an instant.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'd just really, REALLY lightly oil the bolt. ,

As for the barrel, get some oil and a #3 or #4 hard pencil (drafting pencil). The lead (graphite) is harder than a regular #2 writing pencil. Put some oil on the rust, and then rub on it with the pencil. Takes awhile, but eventually it safely removes the rust.

0000 steel wool? Yes, it removes rust, but it can take off all the bluing in an instant.

thats very true ,, but ::<>>>>??? sometimes its all that works,

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'd just really, REALLY lightly oil the bolt. ,<BR><BR>As for the barrel, get some oil and a #3 or #4 hard pencil (drafting pencil). The lead (graphite) is harder than a regular #2 writing pencil. Put some oil on the rust, and then rub on it with the pencil. Takes awhile, but eventually it safely removes the rust. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>0000 steel wool? Yes, it removes rust, but it can take off all the bluing in an instant.
<BR><BR><BR><BR>thats very true ,, but ::<>>>>???  sometimes its all that works,
ive been known to clean them up the best i could, then use krylon and paint them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts