Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting a Camp 9, and putting a real walnut stock on it.

But, I have read in a few places that the Camp 9 must be cleaned every 200 rounds or so, and that they are filthy and a real pain to clean.

Is this true? I hate cleaning complicated parts, nooks and crannies, full of black burned powder and gunk.

Any advice on this? Any quick "down and dirty" ways to clean a Camp 9 fast?

(I remember a guy who shot black powder pistols who would just take his stainless revolver, remove the handguards, and run the thing through the dishwasher. No muss, and no fuss!)

Thanks,

Mannyrock

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Be very careful if you use anything like carb or brake spray cleaners on a camp carbine. You can ruin the poly parts the first time. I wish I had kept the one I had, but a pristene 1894 44 mag was an irresitable trade offer.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
Hey Guys,

But, I have read in a few places that the Camp 9 must be cleaned every 200 rounds or so, and that they are filthy and a real pain to clean.

Is this true? I hate cleaning complicated parts, nooks and crannies, full of black burned powder and gunk.

(I remember a guy who shot black powder pistols who would just take his stainless revolver, remove the handguards, and run the thing through the dishwasher. No muss, and no fuss!)

Thanks,
I have done that with my stainless ROA before.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really like these little guns, and have owned several. Still have a Camp 9N. Much as I like them though, I really dread cleaning them. Since they're a straight blowback action, I think the Camp Carbine gets dirtier, quicker, than any other gun I've ever owned. The fun provided by these little carbines must make up for it though, since I have no intention of selling mine;)

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Mannyrock
Did you read this in the same places that said Marlin lever action rifles were inaccurate?

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are upgrades necessary prior to shooting the Camps! Recoil spring, maybe, but the buffer for certain.
Where would a walnut camp stock be gotten?

I can't .tell if you have reviewed the Camp posts here, but that is a must do if you haven't yet.

So let us say that you do get one and it is upgraded to the max. You hit the range and get it dirty... (How bad will depend on how it was lubed and the ammo.) you know or have researched, how to clean, inspect, lube and reassemble. You run the bolt back & forth, yup, nice! You lock the bolt open and peer into the breach and chamber. You see the workings inside and stick your finger in there.
SLAM, BANG, OUCH!!!!! He he, be forewarned! That smarts and your finger is trapped like a rat. You only have two hands and one is both indisposed and screaming for you to do anything to free it's finger tip. The other hand wants desperately to help but the bolt cannot be pulled back. That recoil spring, upgraded to 21 lbs, is resisting and the gun just slides along the bench top. He he.
Ok, stop. Push through the terrible signals that digit, condition unknown, is sending.
You understand and pick up the gun with one hand and one miserable finger. You must be calm, quiet and efficient. No one must find out this self-imposed predicament you find yourself in. Set the butt on the bench, stabilize the whole thing, pull the bolt back and finally your finger tip out. Gee. It doesn't look broken and there are a number of new indentations, only a little blood.... The circulation returns. ...
Enjoy !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dirtiest gun I ever owned....but I have gotten used to cleaning it. Most I ever went was 500 rounds before cleaning. Usually I clean it at 200-300 rounds .
If you take the silver feed ramp and silver bolt assembly out of the gun, then soak them in Hoppes#9 overnight ,they will clean up nicely for you.

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I have one of the new Ruger PC-9's NIB that I took on a tade and it appears to be a real piece of work. It takes the Glock clips. I wonder if they have to be cleaned like the older PC-9's?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have one of the new Ruger PC-9's NIB that I took on a tade and it appears to be a real piece of work. It takes the Glock clips. I wonder if they have to be cleaned like the older PC-9's?
Tough to say . I have one of the originals ,a PC4, from 1997, but it is totally new design,now the PCC resembles the PC9/PC4, but it is all new.
Hopefully it is built Ruger tough?
I love my PC4 and my Mini 14.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.