Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 1895 45-70 apart for a field cleaning. Pretty straight forward, simple design. I ran several patches of bore cleaner through it and cleaned and lubed the bolt and lever etc. I gave the inside a thorough exam and I must say I'm happy so far. I compared it to a JM 1895 a buddy has and other than the pressed checkering on my new model I saw no difference on the internal parts or fit. I received my Nikon 2-7x32mm scope today and my DNZ medium 1" mount should arrive monday. I'm now hunting ammo for my new toy. I'm leaning toward the lighter side (300-350gr) loads as I will only be hunting Ohio whitetails and WV black bear with this rifle. So far, so good on a new "Remlin".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Robert, good to hear you got a good Remlin also! Good choice of scope too. The factory Rem 300 gr SJHP shot very well in my GBL,but don't shy away from the 400+ gr bullets as they can be very accurate also. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Robert,

Nice job. Can we get a picture of the 1895 with the scope set up once you get it finished? I need to add a scope to one of mine also.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Glad to hear you got a good Remlin!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert,

Nice job. Can we get a picture of the 1895 with the scope set up once you get it finished? I need to add a scope to one of mine also.

I'll get pics up once my DNZ mount arrives. I'm still cautiously optimistic until I get some rounds down range. I did notice my follower seems to have the "dimple" that I've read is needed for the Hornady LE rounds to cycle properly. I'm still up in the air on ammo. I like the Federal Fusion 300gr from what I've read.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I get OUTSTANDING results (below MOA) using Hornady's LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX ammo .

Luis

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you got a 95, I think you will like both the rifle & cartridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts