Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And factory ammo, to boot!!!

Well, OK, I didn't actually HIT any, but I sure threw dirt in their faces and made them dance a little! Didn't miss by much! The clay pigeons were a 'target of opportunity' as they were there for my .257 Roberts which was nailing them almost every time.

But I did hit a 12" steel gong at 300 yards with the .30-30 - three in a row with my last three shots. :D

Factory WW 170g Power Point ammo, nothing fancy.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Just goes to show how under rated the ol 30-30 is!!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
:lol: Good Shootin ..

·
Registered
573 Posts
You didn't hit those pigeons cause everyone of the gunwriters has already stated that if you need to shoot at that distance you need a flatter shooting cartridge. Like a 270NewMag or a 7mmNewMag. I bet your sight picture was holding a little lower than the moon. And that rainbow arch! I bet it looked something like the arch at St. Louis.

:twisted:

:wink:
Good shooting CH.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blackhawk said:
...I bet your sight picture was holding a little lower than the moon. And that rainbow arch! I bet it looked something like the arch at St. Louis.
Actually the drop wasn't that bad - only about 18". The hold for the .57 Roberts was to put the horizontal crosshair right on the top of the pigeons. The wind didn't seem to affext the .257 nearly as much, as would be expected. Flat shooters do make a difference!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts