Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The internet is full of tales, but the stores shelves are sill empty of powder. Has anyone reliably used Clay Dot for pistol loads (.38, 9mm, .40, .45acp) using Hodgons Clays data. The two powders are supposed to be identical, and there is certainly enough pistol data for Clays available. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts
I have heard that from a LGS and many times shot gun and pistol powders are one in the same from my small amount of knowledge. I didn't know enough being a beginner to test it though.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Used it for shotgun loads and yes it is identical. I actually prefer it since it has a marker with the clay colored specs of powder.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
As far as using shotgun powder for pistol powder they are really just labels. I use clay dot and Longshot in my 45 acp and 12 gauge all the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
R.H. Vandenberg did a nice writeup on ClayDot wherein he used it in substitute for Clays in pistol cartridges. He found a very close similarity in velocity when equal amounts by weight were used.

Have at it. While Clays does not produce full or even standard velocities in most of the calibers you mention, it does well with midrange to light loads, which is what we probably should shoot a large percentage of time anyway.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. These are all going to be light loads for steel practice on a timer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts