Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classroom ".45-70, 101" The Adventure Begins

I should preface this by stating that I’m new to the .45-70 and lever guns in general.

I just purchased a Remington made 1895 GBL.

I wish some kind soul here would do a “Class .45-70 101” post for folks like me that are new to these rifles.

Actually, I have already gleaned a great deal of good information here at the MO group and I’m very thankful for that.

To begin with, I wanted to be sure my new rifle was a keeper before I started investing some money on reloading stuff and scope and sights. I went to the local gun store and picked-up some 300 Grain Winchester Super X, jacketed hollow points (that's all they had, by-the-way).

Before I went to the range, I loaded some rounds in the tube magazine and attempted to cycle them through the action. The rifle would not function, period. It appeared that the extractor was too tight as the round would not go into the full horizontal position when chambering. The top side of the rim case would jamb against the bottom of the extractor. Very frustrating.

To resolve this, I super lubed all the moving parts of the action. I left the magazine empty and worked the action about five-hundred times. Re-lubing as I went to help loosen-up everything. Marlin did a very poor job and left the Big Loop lever with very sharp edges. I pulled the skin off my little finger and fore finger. I finally just put on a leather glove and continue to work the action again and again.

I then put some lube on a couple of rounds and the extractor and the chamber. I ran them through the rifle maybe two dozen times. There were quite a bit of lead, brass and copper filings everywhere. I did this again and again. About the time I was getting pretty worn out, the rounds began to function. The rifle would toss the round across the room when ejecting. The action began to work like clockwork. Looks like the problem is solved.

Today, my friend, Frank, and I headed for the rifle range. I am recuperating from a serious neck injury, so Frank volunteered to try out the new rifle for me, Doctor‘s orders, you understand. We set-up a sand bag rest and fired her about six times to adjust the sights on the fifty-yard range.

We put up a new target and all I can say is wow! This is a pretty accurate rifle. See the target below.

Yes, she looks to be a keeper. She also functioned perfectly. All shells ran through the action like a sewing machine.

I don’t really know if my procedure was the proper way to solve this problem. I didn’t want to bend the extractor and risk accidentally over-bending it. I know an extractor must be somewhat tight to pull out and extract a stubborn round.

Either way, I’ve named the rifle "Señora Diana."

I hope to post more, very soon, on my "Señora Diana Project."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: Classroom ".45-70, 101" The Adventure Begins

Whats important is you are happy with your rifle, I recently purchased my 45-70 Cowboy NIB manufactured in '07, I love it and have also just purchased Lee reloading kit so I can start reloading for it. My friends and I have named it "Thumper".

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

"Señora Diana" is shooter and not just a looker! :eek: ;D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Good job. I've noticed over the years that working the action, and especially shooting the gun till its hot and beyond! ::) :-[ that it will smooth out an action about as quick as anything. Your common sense won out and you did well. Congratulations. Bet you can't wait to heal up! Incidentally, I'd seriously get into the reloading aspect, as you can make cheap reloads and have great fun doing it. I've got my 11 year old enthusiastically pursuing my 1895's and he can't seem to quit! He must have shot the thing 500 times this year alone! These loads are a gentle push for a grown man. A little more for him, but not enough to stop him...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the positive comments.

I’m surprised that I didn’t receive any criticism for my method of rectifying the problem.

I welcome any comment, criticism or advise that any of you might add.

I’ve got to do something about the sights. My eyesight is pretty bad and I have a difficult time with the stock semi-buckhorn rear sight.

I don’t know if a ghost ring or a tang sight will still work for me. A scope may be my only option.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

My gun hunting buddy is 58. He is a great shot at the bench and a fantastic hunter. Unfortunately, his eyesight has suffered over the past few years and is in denial on scoping his lever guns. If you get a 50 yard shot, well then great. He shot a 90 yard shot low this year. He did recover it, but had to track it. Unfortunately in my area, the chances of a really close shot like that are nearly nill. Most of my shots are in the 120 to 250 yard range. I like my 308MXLR for most everything during rifle season. I feel hampered even with a 444, 45-70, 30-30 if scoped. Most of the time I have already gotten my buck during bow season, so I'm not too worried if something is beyond my range. However, if I had to rely on my peep sights (no way I would rely on semi-buckhorns anymore), I would have to limit the ranges. Not something I want to do if I get an opportunity. Shooting an animal should give the animal a sporting chance and still have a reasonable chance for harvest. If the odds are significantly in favor of locating the deer and shooting/wounding them. You have your answer. Find a good lower powered scope and be happy. I like the 2-7X Leupolds myself. I use a simple Weaver 63B with low or medium rings.

My cowboy guns are equiped with Williams peep sights and used for targets. They are my fun guns. My son wants to hunt with one and I may let him. However he will be dissapointed on the limits he'll be able to use it. During firearm season here, most deer are running fast and scared, and you get precious few chances even far away. Almost none close in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Dr. A said:
Find a good lower powered scope and be happy. I like the 2-7X Leupolds myself. I use a simple Weaver 63B with low or medium rings.
Thanks again for the response.

Around here my distance is pretty much limited to 100 yards. One reason I choose the .45-70.

Sounds like I need to get out of denial and go the scope route.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts

Welcome to the world of the .45/70 lever gun! Quite a cartridge and quite a rifle. With a little work, the Marlins function well, it's a good basic design, no doubt.

No problem scoping one. They take to a scope real well. Get something with good eye relief. I'm a huge fan of the little 2.5x ultra-light Leupold in Leupold mounts myself.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
367 Posts

True Grit,

First of all, welcome to MO, from another fairly new 'newbie'!!!

It seems you and I are running parallel to each other.
I too, suffered a neck injury (broken neck - I now have 1-1/2lbs of titanium 'cage' in my neck), several years ago, and my eyesight is not what it used to be.

It took me (literally) YEARS to pull the trigger on my 1895G!

I ran across Marlinowners while trying to find some reloading info for this wonderful rifle.
I used Winchester 300 gr JHP and Federal 300 gr JHP to put this rifle on paper.

Also, I put an XS Lever-rail on the rifle and a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm scope, mounted using Warne QR 'medium' rings. (The Nikon has a 3.9" eye relief, and the glass is very clear!) Also, the Nikon ProStaff has a LOT of adjustment built into it, if you need it. Cabela's has this scope on 'sale' right now for less than $100.00, in their "Bargain Basement". It's listed as a shotgun scope, so, I know it should be able to handle any recoil the .45-70 throws at it. (I just bought another one to use on either my other .45-70 or a BP gun.)
Here's a pic of my 1895G:

I discovered that this rifle shoots extremely well with both the Winchester and Federal factory fodder, and with a 405 gr Cast Performance WLNGC bullet and Reloader 7 powder (40.0 gr.) in R-P cases.
Recoil isn't an issue with this load. No pain in the neck!! (Literally!) I used this load to drop a 320-350 lb wild hog in March.
Last item of note - I put a Limbsaver® recoil pad on my guide gun. The factory pad is about as recoil reducing as a brick!!!
Even my 15 year old son enjoyed shooting this rifle at the range!! ;D

Again, welcome to MO!!!!!

(Sorry for the long post!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Keith,

Thanks for the tip(s).

I like that scope. Great suggestion.

Sounds like a winning combination.

What size rings does the Nikon use? One inch?

Does Limbsaver make a dedicated pad for the 1895G, or do you just use the slip on version?

My neck injury is not nearly as bad as yours. But, it’s still giving me fits. Stress, mental pressure and anxiety seem to cause as much pain as physical exertion.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Yes, the Nikon ProStaff uses 1" rings.
I tried to get away with using "Low" rings, but, the objective bell was down, against the rail, so, I wound up using "Medium" rings.
I don't know if it shows up enough, or not (in the photo, above), but, there's no way that I can get a "Ghost Ring" or "Peep" on the back end of that mount.
The ocular ring is 'right there' where the ghost ring belongs.

According to the Nikon website, that scope has 80 MOA of adjustment in it, with 1/4 MOA per 'click'.

Yes, Limbsaver does make a pad that's just a 'bolt on'. I forget the number of the pad.
I did notice that the pad is a 'touch' larger than the stock, but, being the tinkerer that I am, I wrapped the stock with 2 thicknesses of "Blue Painter's Tape" and using a sanding block, took the pad down until it was 'just right'.
I've read where another guy put one on his 1895G, and it was too wide. Might be the difference in the way the stock was made/cut. ???

I hear ya about neck pain.
My neurosurgeons told me that I could shoot whatever I wanted to, but, IF I feel any pain. . . STOP.
It took me a Lonnnnnnnnng time to muster the nerve to 'saddle up' behind the .45-70. Now. . . it is my favorite rifle!!!
Can't wait to get my Cowboy .45-70 out and take her for a dance!!

True Grit said:
Keith,

Thanks for the tip(s).

I like that scope. Great suggestion.

Sounds like a winning combination.

What size rings does the Nikon use? One inch?

Does Limbsaver make a dedicated pad for the 1895G, or do you just use the slip on version?

My neck injury is not nearly as bad as yours. But, it’s still giving me fits. Stress, mental pressure and anxiety seem to cause as much pain as physical exertion.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Howdy Again,

I talked to the “front-end” girl at Limbsaver. She said the Marlin’s stock varied between each rifle. She suggested that I measure the gun butt and she would fit a pad as close as possible. Then I would have to “adjust” it as you did.

I should add that she was extremely friendly and very informative. I like their very personal customer service. I would nominate her for “employee of the month” if I could.

I should ask though, my stock pad is a Decelerator brand. Is my pad really all that bad? Would a Limbsaver be a noticeable improvement?

I’m still waffling on the scopes. Can’t decide between a pistol type, or the Nikon per your recommendation.

Gracias por su ayuda.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

True Grit said:
Howdy Again,

I should ask though, my stock pad is a Decelerator brand. Is my pad really all that bad? Would a Limbsaver be a noticeable improvement?

Gracias por su ayuda.
True Grit -

The “Decelerator” is a good pad, and what my GBL also wears… I would be surprised if the “Limbsaver” would help that much more.

What I use for shooting from the bench is a Past Recoil Pad like this one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=284105

Just something else for you to think about. :)

da nada

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Rowdy said:
Why thanks.

This is a great suggestion.

My "favorites" on my computer is growing as well as this year's Christmas list.

My only concern is that I’m not ambidextrous. I only shoot long guns right-handed! (Un poco de humor es bueno).

·
Registered
367 Posts

True Grit said:
My 'factory' recoil pad was as soft as a brick. Literally. It was a 'Recoil Pad' in name, only!!! ;D

The Limbsaver pad on my rifle, is AMAZING!!! On another forum, someone suggested a Pachmayr Deaccelerator (sp??). He said that it was more 'firm' than the Limbsaver, and slowed the recoil impulse better on really 'thumping' loads.
Not sure 'bout that, either!

I do know that the Limbsaver works. . . . for me.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Rowdy said:
True Grit -

The “Decelerator” is a good pad, and what my GBL also wears… I would be surprised if the “Limbsaver” would help that much more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=284105

Just something else for you to think about. :)

da nada

X2 on the Past Recoil. I use one for all my shooting. Especially on the CB which has no recoil pad. I don't worry about it when hunting though. Never tend to feel recoil when shooting at critters. ;D

HA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts