Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here started their reloading "career" or have at least used the original Lee Loaders to build handloaded ammo?

I started with one for the 222 Remington, along with a Hornady reloading manual and a Lyman scale. That was followed by a Lee Loader for the 41 Magnum, 30-06, 45-70, even a necking reaming, micrometer bullet seating set for 270 (which I've never used)- I may even have a set for 225 Winchester. I know I have loaded thousands of rounds on the little tools. Who else here has used them ?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I've pounded together many thousands of .32 ACP on one. It kept me shooting during a period where I had a lot more time than money.

G

·
Bought my first LEE LOADER almost 50 years ago. 410 ga, I still use it. The hulls then were of course paper. In the early 60s they changed to plastic, they were shorter than the old paper shells so they wouldn't go into the die far enough to crimp. My dad, a tool and die maker, made a piece for the shell to set on and allow it to go farther up in the die to crimp, he also made me a sizer. My load, then, and now, is 3/4 oz shot, and 15 gr of 2400. It's killed hundreds, if not thousands, of small game. Rabbits, squirrels, dove, quail, fox, a few wild dogs, and even pheasants, not to mention CATS, which I hate. The lee loader of course does not size the brass at the base of the shell. I used the left bbl of our dbl bbl to gauge the hulls for fit. If they fit it, they would fit the other 410s we had. I've cut many a sapling to run down the bbl to dislodge a spent shell that wouldn't eject. I also have used them in 3006, and 357 and 38 spcl. I still hunt squirrels with that dbl bbl. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I started with them and consider them a must have in my pack for extended hunts. I carry extra powder, primmers, bullets, and the loader. I have one for all my leveraction rifles including the 218 Bee and 375 Win. I even have one for the 450 Marlin. It is a custom Loader made before Lee stopped doing the custom Loaders.

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
:D The little ones ya smack with a hammer? :D I've still got mine. One for the .357 mag, another for a 6mm Remington. Those were the only cartridges I loaded for, for many years. Great little loaders that resulted in the death of many, many rockchucks and other vermin.

Might just haul out the 6mm loader and put together a few rounds with it for the heck of it. Lots of fun.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-Sometime back in the early 70's I bought one of those reloader in a kit Lee things for a 30-30 Marlin I had. I actually don't remember too much about it but did take it on a motorcycle deer hunting pack in trip with me and used it quite a bit. They are the cat's meow under certain conditions. I can't remember ever getting rid of it and wonder if it is hidden in a drawer somewhere?

Ranch Dog-I would love to see your Lee Reloading gear one day. It sounds like that would be an interesting day. I do hope Lee is treating you well as your experience with their equipment is much more impressive and influencial that any advertisements I have read :) BestLever

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
BestLever said:
Ranch Dog-I would love to see your Lee Reloading gear one day. It sounds like that would be an interesting day. I do hope Lee is treating you well as your experience with their equipment is much more impressive and influencial that any advertisements I have read :)
I just call it like I see it Bestlever. One day maybe I will get to visit with the Lee folks. I would like to see their business.

One of the best hog hunting places I've ever had access to was made available because of the Lee Loader. There was an older gentleman out at the gun club trying to get a Thompson Contender in 35 Rem to shoot Remington factory 200-grain bullets. I happened to be working with my 336D and the Speer 180-grain bullets but I had a Lee Loader with me. I took all his spent ammo, a couple of boxes, and loaded them up in minutes. I really wasn't sure how the pistol would shoot with what I was sticking in it but it started to spit out some unbelievable groups. Once we had the pistol sighted in, I reloaded that spent ammo and gave him a couple of old MTM boxes to store it in. I also told him to save his brass, gave him my phone number and told him we would meet back here in the future to reload. I did it because I love reloading and shooting and the old fellow looked like he needed help. He looked like he didn't have a "pot to piss in" other than having a nice pistol. He asked me what I was doing that afternoon, which I had nothing to do, and I ended up hog hunting on his 1000 acre paradise! You just never know what life has in store when you are kind to people!

·
Super Moderator
15,958 Posts
I started while stationed in Gemany in the late 70's. 30/30 & 30/06; still have them & still use them. The best, most accurate, handloads I've ever produced have been with the Lee® Classic Reloader. (I must admit however I didn't use the 'scoop', rather, I weighed each charge).

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
WOW! Is that what's in those boxes under my dies? Let's see, there is my first loading set, the 357. Then came a 12 ga, then a 16 ga. Using the shotgun kits, came to an end when I swithced from Federal paper hulls to AA's and an assortment of Mec presses. I resurrected the 16 ga kit, when I traded for a 16 ga, double hammer gun with 2 9/16 chambers. Found some old paper cases and loaded ammo that my Mec's couldn't do! There is one piece though, the adjustable shot measure, that I have continued to use over the years. It seems to fill a void in this newfangled technology.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have any of you used them with the 44 Mag? I would like to get one to load up a couple of rounds. I have H110, Magtech 240gr JSP, and CCI 350 primers. Just can't get the time to get to my buddy's house to learn about reloading on a "Big" machine. Thought I could do it at home a few rounds a night. Only thing is that on their website, it states that the 44 is hard to reload (or something like that) with this loader.

Feldhege

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've loaded a pile of 41 Mag with a Lee Loader and mallet. I don't think I've ever loaded 44s but they should be no different. It is a real basic system but I have no regrets on starting out with it. It does help you to learn the steps involved in making ammo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
just found

just found mine from 1976, i think it was. sold all of my firearms in 1987 to raise money for a house. just this past week i got a marlin 336w in 30-30. went snooping around the storage shed and found my lee loader .....its been thru about 6 apartment moves...three house moves and on a 3rd spouse (this one is a keeper.....she likes to shoot).
still in the original box with the original load data and advertisement. i was very happy to find it in really good shape....i plan on using it as soon as i get my molds.
lee makes some really good stuff....its all i use for pistol and i dont have one complaint.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Feldhege and the 44

The only problem I had was when I did not lube the cases properly. It doesn't matter what case you stick in there, improperly lubed, it will come out hard. My 357 loader was hit so many times, it mushroomed over on the sides and I had to take a grinding wheel to it, but it was what I had at the time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
just ordered one ........... :D 2 week delivery :lol:

viv

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's what I started with and I still use it for neck sizing the brass if I don't want to full length size. It's a little slow but turns out ammo just as good as any I've produced using more sophisticated tools.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Lee Classic reloading kit in the box

Bought my classic reloader kit about 30 some years ago for my 7mm Rem Mag Parker Hale 1200S rifle. Bought a powder beam scale and trickler to weigh each load so there would be no mistakes with the mag cartridge. Did them up one at a time for the same reason. Never had a problem. Still have it today somewhere in the garage. As a note here, I never used the dippers that came in the original kit. Didn't trust them. Especially in a magnum case load of IMR4831 powder. Graduated to a Turrent press and kept the rifle dies in 2 holes and pistol dies in the remaining 3. Still have it too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts