Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NRA CLA caliber/ammunition rules are pretty open to interpretation, stating "a rimmed cartridge" ".25 caliber or larger". You are also allowed to rebore to a larger caliber, which would interpret to mean re-chambering is also OK.

Would that mean a 357 Maximum or a 7-30 Waters would be OK? Just curious, not thinking about it due to all the other work involved in getting those rounds to function and any possible pressure concerns

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is vague however there is pretty specific verbiage on the intent

(The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting
carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who
enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of
other specialized types of shooting competitions.)

A person could in theory re bore a Marlin to 7/30 Waters use spritzer bullets pushed into the magazine before each shot then chambered with the lever and gain some advantage. Lot of other ways to tweak too, many that are controversial, look at all the upset about Fiber optic sights. What happens is one part of the country at local clubs things are accepted then shooters come together at major matches and there is a dispute.

Thing to remember is equipment disputes are settled by a jury of shooters appointed by the match director, our club my guess is a 7/30 that's not factory chambered shooting low scores would go unremarked. Win a class it would likely be protested and the jury would not allow the rifle. If the rifle is at a local match where it's accepted not much risk. Take it to a major competition pretty sure to be questioned, then it’s in the hands of the jury.

Matches are won with ordinary rifles well handled. My opinion is best to use something that’s well within the rule and focus on breaking good shots.

Boats

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boats I agree with all you say, I guess my point was the rules should be written a bit clearer, perhaps to include "production rifles" and only allow calibers that are/were commercially available. The question stemmed from a discussion with one of the local competitors

I also agree about the intent of the rule and for years was against the custom built "hunting" rifles used in SB, but finally succumbed last year. You can only shovel against the tide for so long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GTKF we are on the same page.

I remember well discussion at one of the Smallbore Nationals on opening up the Hunter class rifle rules. Loud for it quiet majority out in the clubs never saw the rule changes comming. Our club I am smallbore MD and am very strict about allowing a tweaked rifle shoot Hunter class. If it does not look like a pre 1964 model 70 I put them in Silhouette class. Get a complaint pull out the 2 lb weight to settle the question and more often than not the hot rodded hunter trigger won't hold the weight. Having said that If I was going to try to shoot smallbore competitive again would use a tweaked Hunter Rifle.

Our Cowboy matches never saw a F/O sight. Fellow showed up with a Match type rear on a Marlin not long ago. MD let him shoot but remarked it as not according to the rule. Point is it depends on whats considered acceptable local that counts.

7mm's would be the thing to shoot rams for sure, Winchester did chamber some 94's in 7/30, of course then you would have to shoot a M 94 handicapped from the start

Boats

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just reread the rules, bullets must be flat or round point able to feed from the tube mag. Factory barrels only, but can be relined/ rebored.

3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle​

- Listed below are the three classes of Cowboy SilhouetteRifles. The below listed rules apply to all classes of rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match forcommon hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shootinghunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shootingcompetitions.)
1. Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. NoOlympic type sights or extended mounts are permitted. Front sights must be a post or bead, may behooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only.
2. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels rebored to a larger caliber are allowed. Anysafe trigger is allowed. Stocks must be of original configuration. Recoil pads or replacement buttplates areallowed.
3. Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using jacketed or cast bullets, with or withoutgas checks. All bullets must be round or flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridgecausing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned.
4. Firing period will include a 30 second ready (loading) period, and 2 minutes for 5 shots. Ammunition mustbe loaded through the tubular magazine.
5. Binoculars may be used for spotting. Spotting scopes or stands may not be used. Clothing that adds
stability to the shooting position is not allowed. Rule 6.9 concerning wind flags will not apply

Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -A. Any lever action center rifle .25 caliber or larger with a tubular magazine of original manufacture orreplica thereof. A rimmed case loaded with a round or flat nosed bullet must be used. Exception: .35Remington is allowed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts