Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Civilian" shoots the Safari Grade 444.

With everything to my liking with this project, I asked my "civilian" (non-Marlin owner) shooting buddy Joe, if he would like to shoot a few rounds from the SG 444 while we were at the range this morning. He said he would have to call his insurance agent to make sure that his life insurance was paid up. After that, he took a swipe at the SG 444.....and I got a photo of it....after 4 trys! See, its probably not as bad as you all thought it would be! ;D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Re: "Civilian" shoots the Safari Grade 444.

Now that's funny right there... I don't care who ya are!

Did he hit the backstop at least?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

That's one way to avoid "Weatherby eyebrow", absolute genius! ;D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Aussie; Yup, Joe is nobodies fool, but, his shooting technique "is" a bit extreme. ;D Actually, Joe is a big bore single shot guy, and he was goofing off for this photo I just thought it was hillarious and wanted to share it), but, he settled in to the "program" and was easily bouncing a one gallon plastic jug off the 65 yard backstop with every shot. I just wanted somebody other than myself to judge the recoil and controllability of the SG 444. Joe likened it to one of his 45-70 single shots shooting a 300 grain bullet at 2200 fps. He did comment that shooting the 405 at 2160 fps in the Safari Grade 444 off of the bench was a bit "stout" (as most big bore Marlins are), but, he was amazed at how nicely it handled "off hand" (recoil is minimal, and barrel flip is no more than two or three inches at the most). With both my "Peashooter" and the SG444 I have noticed that as well, and this is a tribute to the Marlin design............by the way, no special recoil pads, reducers, etc. It is just the way Marlin made it!!!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts

Hey :p my old girl can make your shoulder some sore after a few rds :eek: ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts

Flat Top said:
With everything to my liking with this project, I asked my "civilian" (non-Marlin owner) shooting buddy Joe, if he would like to shoot a few rounds from the SG 444 while we were at the range this morning. He said he would have to call his insurance agent to make sure that his life insurance was paid up. After that, he took a swipe at the SG 444.....and I got a photo of it....after 4 trys! See, its probably not as bad as you all thought it would be! ;D
That's funny seeing as his finger isn't even on the trigger! ;D :eek:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Halwg said:
That's funny seeing as his finger isn't even on the trigger! ;D :eek:
"Hawk Eye" Hal; I didnt even notice that.............Oh! that must have been when it went "full auto"...it has a habit of doing that sometimes, but, I am working on that problem. ::)

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts

That first pic is rich!! Love to copy that baby and take it to work. Yank a few chains of some of the bolt guys right there! The finger came off the trigger from the recoil ....right? ;) Mr fixit

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

mr. fixit; Feel free to take it to work....you have my buddies blessing! The recoil did knock his finger off the trigger...good point! ;)

Yup, them bolt guys just dont know what "real" power is, and when you think of it, a lever gun that can produce the power of an African large game rifle, using all the factory parts, the standard 444 Marlin case (of course, I mean, is there any other?), and standard reloading dies and components...........Heck, you got a fo-foty-fo...and you dont need no bolt gun!!! ;D Anyway, have fun with the photo, and let us know what the bolt guys think of it.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts

I'm kinda limited to how much I show pictures like that around, something about firearms in a prison environment ??? ??? ;D most everyone who did see it today had their jaw drop first and then they asked "What is that?" Wherein I proudly told them just a measly knock you down .444 Marlin, I do believe they were impressed. I think they didn't realized the set up shot. :eek: :eek: :eek: Mr fixit ;D

·
Premium Member
133 Posts

Cool picture, 2000 yard gong or duck season?

·
Super Moderator
10,593 Posts

1948-336 said:
Cool picture, 2000 yard gong or duck season?
Hehehe...no-look 2000 yard gong shot, that'd be something that I bet even Wind couldn't do.

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts

nope, the only way their going to know is if they come here and find out! ;D ;D Mr fixit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts