Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran five rounds of 160 gr. Evolution 30-30 ammo over the chrony today while adjusting the sights. I didn't fire any groups as I was adjusting scope after each round. Previously I got 0.797" for 3 shots. I'm saving the remaining rounds for black bear hunting.

Look at this:

Shot #1 2318 fps
Shot #2 2336
Shot #3 2326
Shot #4 2333
Shot #5 2322 Ave. MV: 2327
Ext. Spread: 17.45 SD: 7.48

This was out of 20" bbl., Revelation Model 200 (336 made for Western Auto Stores in the 1960's). Temperature was around 60 degrees.

Hornady advertizes 2400 fps. I think 2327 fps is pretty respectable from 20" bbl. And the shot-to-shot consistency is outstanding!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd like to see the downrange velocity between a 24" barreled rifle shooting regular flatpoint factory, and a 20" carbine shooting the LE ammo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You and I ended up with the same data! My chronograph ran about exactly the same numbers this weekend. I also ran other factory loadings in both 150 and 170 grain loads. The closest to the Leverevolution was still 100 fps slower. After sighting in the rifle I tried one group, 7/8". Now last week I did re-crown and lap the barrel to smooth things out a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Thanks!

Great information, gentlemen. Thanks for gathering and sharing it.

zuikowarrior

·
Registered
36 Posts
magazine follower

I just bought a couple of boxes of Hornady Lever Revolution and read the fine print on the box regarding some follower issues and the last round to come out of the magazine. I have not had time to try it out yet. Has anyone experienced any issues with any of your test firings? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Leverevolution ammo testing results

I just came back from the range today and shot 40 rounds of the new 3030 leverevolution ammo 160Grain compared it to my standard Remington 170Grain soft point, flat nose bullets. On the same piece of paper going back and forth between the 2 ammo types, the new LR ammo hits on average 11.5 inches higher at 100 Yards. When the barrel was clean early on I was getting 3 shot groups touching each other. I rezeroed the scope for the new ammo for dead center at 100 yards and the older remington ammo was just barely on the paper down at the bottom. What a substantial difference. I will be buying a case of this stuff once I can get it at a cheaper price. I have a 336W with a 20 inch barrel, fairly new. :D :shock:

I didn't feel any difference in recoil at all to say that the Hornady ammo had more powder to make up the difference. Shooting wise I couldn't really tell the to apart. I don't use a special holding fixture for the rifle, its in my arms (where it belongs of course). So I feel everything.
This is some sweet stuff.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I found one test that said just about 1/2 lb more or felt recoil. In 30-30 thats not a lot of difference.. Mine shot about 6 in higher than 170 powerpoints..

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
What a substantial difference. I will be buying a case of this stuff once I can get it at a cheaper price.
With copper prices going up, so is the cost of ammo and bullets. I would find your best price and get it now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Very interesting. Those are good velocities. Unles I miss my guess, they are nearer to original specs than what is normally seen from factory fodder.

Thanks for sharing...

The change in aimpoint is also telling. At 6-11" over common factory ammo, that is significant. I guess Ill need to buy a dedicated .30-30, just for LE ammo. Danged, thats' a real shame! :)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Good data - thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Accuracy of new Hornady 30-30 LevEv ammo

The short story is I cleaned the rifle really well after the last shooting excersize. Was getting nice little groups around 1 inch at 100 yards. I moved the zero to +3 inches as recommended on the ammo box so that it would be at zero at 200 yards. I have plans to go to the 200 yard line later this month. I cleaned the barrel there at the range with just one of those bore snakes and the standard Hoppes #9 solvent. Let is sit through the cease fire and cool off and put up fresh targets (6 inch black shoot-N-C that turn yellow when hit. I fired 1 shot to foul the barrel, it was exaclty 1 inch high dead center from the #10 in the center of the target. Normally I would shoot the fouling shot into the dirt to not include it but I was curious. I fired the next through shots and they were all on the edge of the paper on the white just above the black at the center.

I pulled the targets and let the range master measure the clearly defined bullet holes on the piece of target that was behind this target (I showed him both of course but the one in front tore such that it was not easy to measure the holes). He measured this 3 shot group at 0.75".

This 336W 30-30 with the new Hornady LevEv ammo is an awesome combination. 20 inch barrel 3X9 Bushnell Banner Scope at 9X. Sunny day 76 degrees F. From the bench on a sand bag for accuracy testing. I am very pleased.

I scanned the targets into the computer as jpegs but I have no home page to post them to. :D :shock: :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Accuracy shooting update correction

that should say next three shots not through shots in my previous post.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Open an account on PhotoBucket...it's free.
Upload the pics there and copy the address to post here.
It's explained on the reference forum.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here are MrGman's target pics of the .30-30 leverevolution. Very nice!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chrony data update Hornady LE 160 Grn VS 150 Grn PMC 30-30

Marlin 30-30 20 inch BBL ---- --- 61 deg F
Hrndy 160gn LE 150gn PMC 2750 Ft Alt
FPS ------------- FPS 10/20/2006
2294 ----------- 2171
2310 ----------- 2171
2314 ----------- 2185
2298 ----------- 2175
2298 ----------- 2185
2326 ----------- 2168
2306 ----------- 2168
2298 ----------- 2185
2314 ----------- 2178
2318 ----------- 2185
2307.6 Average 2177.1
9.992 STD DEV 7.035

PMC shoots 3 to 4 inches low compared to the Hornady and the groups are much wider than the Hornady.

·
Registered
664 Posts
MrGman;
I'm sure you meant ELEVATION, not ALTITUDE !!!

Sorry; as a pilot and flight instructor, I just couldn't let that one "slide by".
:wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
elevation or altitude?

The range I was at is up in the hills which is at an elevation of 2750 ft, which is also reads simply as 2750 ft altitude on a GPS.

Whatever makes you happy. I was having a real good time, but I was not flying. Last Sunday I was having so much fun that I can't remember my feet touching ground but that's another story. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
New scope coming for my 336W 30-30

I have been enjoying shooting this so much I have decided to reward my Marlin with a new scope. After much searching I have found a Browning 5 X 15 X 40mm with adjustable objective, fully multicoated optics, magnum recoil rated and fast focus eyepiece as some of its key features. I want to shoot the 30-30 with the Hornady LE ammo out at the 200 yard line and figure this will help me see how good it really is.

I was using a low budget Bushnell Banner 3 X 9 before so this is a serious step up. It will be interesting to see how well it works. If the new scope is not meant for the 30-30 in the long run I have several options. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts