Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today with new F1 master chrony. shot some starting loads of 525 grain pile drivers in .457 WW Mag cases, cci 200 primers and 40 grains of reloader 7. I'm shooting a Wild West Guide Gun. chrony read 1517,1530,1529,1513,1523. recoil mild. I did not expect numbers this high because I'm 4.3 grains under max load on BT site. This was the first time I've used a chrongraph. Can these numbers be trusted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
The standard way for us to test a chrono is to fire some 22lr over it (1,125 fps for standard velocity ammo, 1,250 fps for high velocity ammo, hyper velocity ammo not recommended for this...such as the CCI Stinger)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
The standard way for us to test a chrono is to fire some 22lr over it (1,125 fps for standard velocity ammo, 1,250 fps for high velocity ammo, hyper velocity ammo not recommended for this...such as the CCI Stinger)
Or any other load that you have already clocked can be used as a bench mark against the new chronograph readings.
The 525 gr at 1500 fps will penetrate into tomorrow.

JD338
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Beartooth web page list loads for the 45-70. The 457 WW is a longer case and pressure will be lower using 45-70 data. Maybe I am wrong, but I did not see load data for the 457 on BT's page. I get higher velocity using the same 40 grains of RL-7 and the 525 Pile-Driver load from my 1895GS. Lower pressure will give you lower recoil and may also give somewhat lower velocity. The velocity of your loads don't surprise me at all. Is that a 18.5 inch barrel?

Domenic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is an 18.5 inch barrel. And you are right there is no 457 data on BT site, i was referring to their .45-70 data. I'm going to increase the powder working my way up. I will check the chronograph with the .22 next time. I think I will be able to push this bullet safely and comfortably at a good speed. Recoil was just a good push, not bad at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,811 Posts
bluedodge,
My older Chrony would ALWAYS give a very low reading with the first shot. So what I would do was WAKEUP the circuitry with a shot from a .22 so I didn't waste any of my test ammo.

Hip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back at the range today with .457 ww magnum loads with 41 grains of reloader 7 and the 525 BT pile driver. Chronographed 1569,1571
1575, 1572. recoil not bad shot through a 21 inch spruce log and 2 inches into another, lost 15 grains of weight. I may go up to 41.5 grains of reloader 7 or just stay with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
bluedodgeman said:
Back at the range today with .457 ww magnum loads with 41 grains of reloader 7 and the 525 BT pile driver. Chronographed 1569,1571
1575, 1572. recoil not bad shot through a 21 inch spruce log and 2 inches into another, lost 15 grains of weight. I may go up to 41.5 grains of reloader 7 or just stay with this.
Why push any faster? I know, 'cos ya can :D But, you have a load there that gives moderate recoil and puts out nearly 2800ftlbs of energy, all that is enough to put any living animal into it's grave and the ability for a follow up shot. Hmmmm, sounds like a perfect load to me!! Also read all the stuff on Randy Garretts site, IIRC around 15/1600ft/sec is where ya need to be for penetration with big bullets, any more (ft/sec) and your penetration starts to tail off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
Keep in mind Randy tries to have the load doing the ideal 1550-1650 as the velocity at impact, try getting close to 1675 and that will give you 100-125yds of major thumping power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually thinking of going down to 40.5 grains of reloader 7 which would give me about 1550 fps. This would put down anything here is Alaska. How dead can you get them? There are no rhinos in Alaska ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
bluedodgeman said:
I'm actually thinking of going down to 40.5 grains of reloader 7 which would give me about 1550 fps. This would put down anything here is Alaska. How dead can you get them? There are no rhinos in Alaska ;D
With ya there! And the only thing up here you really need a 525 for is them darn bars, you only need about 30' range for that, plus ability for a follow up, if there's time!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
nbh40 said:
With ya there! And the only thing up here you really need a 525 for is them darn bars, you only need about 30' range for that, plus ability for a follow up, if there's time!!
Amen to that! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went back to the range with 40.5 grains of reloader 7 chronographed at 1550 fps.Shot through a 21 inch spruce log and 3 inches into the next one. Recovered bullets weight 97%. Spruce was shredded along bullet path. I don't think I will bother pushing it faster, I don't think I'll gain anything practical.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top