Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about investing in a chronograph. I've narrowed my choices down to the Pact Professional or the Oehler 35P. I typically like to test only a few (3 rnds) of each load when working up to max. When I think I'm there I'll do more extensive testing and accuracy evaluation. My main reason behind this is bullet cost. I have a expensive habit of trying the better bullets at $0.50-$1.00+ apiece. In past experience, with my buddy's Pact, I was sometimes left wondering if the posted velocities were always accurate due to lighting, battery cond., etc. In ten rounds I would always get an oddball. The ballistic tables that can be generated with the Pact are nice, but not absolutely necessary. I see the 35p's proof channel as a big plus. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oehler (any model) is better than the PACT, but the PACT is accurate- unlike the P.O.S. Chrony. I still use my PACT some but I'm much happier w/ my M43.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a Pact PC2 chronograph, and it's a good one.....gives all the calculations you'd ever want to know.

BUT

After several years of using it, I decided that the holes on the target are a better indicator of accuracy.

I sold my chronograph, and have never regretted it. If you have a workable and systematic method of determining the best load for your rifle, you'll find the best load without any more load experimentation than required with a chronograph.

I suspect a chronograph is a "frustration factor" for some reloaders. This is because they concentrate on hi-lo and SD readings, rather than what is happening on the target.....and what happens on the target is the FINAL indicator of accuracy.

If I were a competitive bench rest shooter, I don't think I could do without a chronograph....but, most of us are not fine tuning our loads that will equate to hundredths of an inch at 100yds.

Chronographs are a great toy for the average reloader, though. It will definitely give you a better mental picture of the mechanics/physics of the intricacies of precision shooting. If you have the desire to have one, by all means, get it.....and use it. I'd recommend the Pact PC2 for those considering purchasing one.

hog

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was giving a chrony master for xmas a few years back.I don't have any thing bad to say,works and I like to have the data right in front of me or the op to print out the data.the truth is it's spents more time in the closet than at the range.just don't need one more thing to set up at the range after guns, ammo,targets,range bag,shooting rest then a tri-pod chrony ect is a bit much.
pete

·
Registered
101 Posts
I sold my chronograph, and have never regretted it. If you have a workable and systematic method of determining the best load for your rifle, you'll find the best load without any more load experimentation than required with a chronograph.

I suspect a chronograph is a "frustration factor" for some reloaders. This is because they concentrate on hi-lo and SD readings, rather than what is happening on the target.....and what happens on the target is the FINAL indicator of accuracy.

If I were a competitive bench rest shooter, I don't think I could do without a chronograph....but, most of us are not fine tuning our loads that will equate to hundredths of an inch at 100yds.

Chronographs are a great toy for the average reloader, though. It will definitely give you a better mental picture of the mechanics/physics of the intricacies of precision shooting. If you have the desire to have one, by all means, get it.....and use it. I'd recommend the Pact PC2 for those considering purchasing one.

hog
A chronograph lets you also know where you are at on the pressure/velocity curve. Case in point: 454 Casull. Casull has very wide variation in velocity with different cases. I worked up a load with Starline, then tried the same with Winchester. After two shots, I was pulling rounds. It's not just about following a reloading manual and shooting at targets. A chronograph lets you know where you are really at. With the wide variation in 45/70 rifles and loads, it's all the more reason to utilize a chronograph.

The chronograph is the mark of the serious reloader. Best solution is to use a chronograph and shoot at the target, but I know that can be tedious. You can load a few extras and shoot them into the dirt. 6 shots, bullets $1 each, you can chronograph 2 rounds each low, medium, high loads. That's a $6 dollar insurance policy that your gun doesn't come apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts