Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to pick up a X7VH in .308 but I would like to have a gunsmith chop the barrel down to 20".

Has anyone successfully done this already? How is the accuracy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've done it. Got one .308 cut down to 18" and 7.62x54R custom with 20" barrel. Usually the accuracy will get better, because the shorter barrel is stiffer. Using a shorter, heavier barrel minimizes reduces stress and accuracy-robbing barrel vibration. Simply put a shorter barrel is stiffer and vibrates at a less.

You'll get little velocity loss, but you won't actually notice the difference if you're not shooting up to 1000 yards and then there are much better cartridges for that kind of range... 18- to 20-inch barrel is fine for a calibers like the .308 winchester

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i second with the above post

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I am going to look for a good price, also thinking about having it threaded since they just allowed supressors here in MI.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same thing this winter, after I purchase the rifle of course !

·
Registered
981 Posts
I chopped a standard 308 down to 18.25" and it is VERY accurate. My avatar is a 3 shot group that measures .101" for 3 shots from the 308 carbine. The 'smith put a recessed crown on it and it will shoot groups smaller than I can hold. I still get 2650-2750 with 150gr bullets with little trouble, and 170s reach 2500fps.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
it will shoot well cut down to 20" im sure. are you going to use it for hunting or target shooting?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
It will be a Hunting Rifle for sure. I sit in Trees here in the Big Woods. A short, quick handling rig is the way to go, but the shots are for the most part Free Handed, and a Rifle with the balance a bit forward helps to hold steady. All my shots are under 150 yards so barrel length in a 308 should be a non factor. For me 20" seems an ideal length.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am/was looking at a different brand in a 20" HB, but may consider this VH. I would like a 20" barrel so if its cut down does the twist rate make any difference? The 22-250 with the 26" is 1:14 right so at 20" what would that affect?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am/was looking at a different brand in a 20" HB, but may consider this VH. I would like a 20" barrel so if its cut down does the twist rate make any difference? The 22-250 with the 26" is 1:14 right so at 20" what would that affect?
a 1-14 twist is a 1-14 twist at 18" or 30". cutting the barrel with change load harmonics though but it does not change the rate of twist. even a barrel that is 14 inches long can have a 1-16 twist. a 20" is said to be stiffer and have potential for better accuracy. the small loss in velocity by using shorter barrels boils down to a matter of a few inches at 600 yds compared to longer barrels. your compensating drop at that range with either barrel length anyway. shorter barrels tend to be less picky about load development so ive learned from experience.

·
Registered
324 Posts
a 1-14 twist is a 1-14 twist at 18" or 30". cutting the barrel with change load harmonics though but it does not change the rate of twist. even a barrel that is 14 inches long can have a 1-16 twist. a 20" is said to be stiffer and have potential for better accuracy. the small loss in velocity by using shorter barrels boils down to a matter of a few inches at 600 yds compared to longer barrels. your compensating drop at that range with either barrel length anyway. shorter barrels tend to be less picky about load development so ive learned from experience.
so basically barrel length = velocity and twist=bullet selection, light or heavy depending on the twist.

For some reason I had in my mind there would be some advese effects to chopping down the barrel, but thanks to your clearl explaintion, I understand what you are saying.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
X7VH barrel chop

I am looking to pick up a X7VH in .308 but I would like to have a gunsmith chop the barrel down to 20".

Has anyone successfully done this already? How is the accuracy?

Thanks.
Yes I had my barrel cut down to 18 inches. The accuracy actually improved my groups and the gun was far, far easier to handle. There is a small velocity loss from 20" to 18" but I doubt that the bullet recipient will notice the difference. This is my X7 along with a 100 yard group shot with Monarch ammunition in a really uncomfortable indoor range. X7VH.JPG T4.JPG

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cut my 308 VH down to 17.5 last night. I did a lot of research on how to DIY and on how the shorter barrels affect accuracy and velocity.
I love the balance and looks of the shorter barrel.

I cut the barrel with a hacksaw using a hose clamp as a guide. I put masking tape on the barrel under the clamp to minimize scratching. I didn't get it perfectly square but about 15 minutes with a file squared it right up. I used an oval head brass screw chucked in a hand drill with automotive valve grinding compound to cut a new crown. Do a google search for DIY barrel shortening and you will find all the info you need if you want to DIY.

I am typing this in the field right now while I let my 223 VH barrel cool.

I shot the 308 about an hour ago with a 10 mph tail cross wind and I was getting 1" 5 shot groups with occasional flyers that were probably due to this gusty April KY wind. The short barrel shoots just as good as the long barrel at 100 yards if not better. I don't expect to shoot past 500 yards so the 17.5" barrel should be just fine.

My best load was with 41 grains of IMR 4320, 180 grain hornady sst's.

The cut and crown took about 45 minutes and I am very happy with it. Looks great in the Boyd's thumb hole laminate stock.

I am probably cut down the 223 VH next. I just need to decide what length.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts