Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to hang a scope on my 336 for poping cans etc, not hunting. I'm looking at 3 scopes. 1 cheapie and 2 expensive ones. I really shouldn't be spending much money on a plinking scope, but if I am going to hate myself for going cheap then well, what's another hundred bucks in the long run. I'm pretty familiar with the diamonback, but I don't know much about the banner or the legend.

bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 1.5-4.5x 32mm Wide Angle Multi-X Reticle

vortex diamonback 1.75-5x32 Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scope 1.75-5x 32mm Matte

bushnell legend ultra hd 1.75-5x32 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Rifle Scope 1.75-5x 32mm Matte

I have enough other stuff in my cart to take off 30 bucks on the vortex and 45 on the legend, making the cost between those 2 a wash. So basically question 1 is "is a banner good enough" and 2 is "if not, which of the other 2 do you buy"

What would ya'll buy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unless you have "old eyes" the banner is good enough. Between the other two I would pick the Legend. I like it's 4.5" eye relief vs 3.5" for Vortex

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
That's the million dollar question, wouldn't doubt you get close to that many opinions. I'm half blind, tried the 4.5, can't see to shoot paper at 50yds. Just upgraded to the 3 9x40 Banner, haven't mounted it yet. Good luck with your search

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I can only comment on the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X scope--I haven't owned the others. I had this one on a slug shotgun and a 336W--fantastic scope for the price. I wish I had not sold it with the 336W. I used it to hunt in thick hardwoods and it never let me down.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Reactions: Greg_Mid_TN

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I think any of the 3 would serve you well for what your wanting take your pic!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have the banner in a 336 in 35 rem. It hasn't done anything to make me think poorly of it. It's definitely not a high end scope but it seems to work rather well. A Nikon prostaff 2-7 costs a bit more and is clearer and brighter.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I've got the Vortex Diamondback and I am VERY impressed with the optics for that price. Better than my Leupold VXII 2-7x32. Brighter and more clear. And yes, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I tell you, the Bushnell banner is a great scope. It is very bright and clear. More so than the redfields and leupold in full light to my eyes. However, when it is getting dark fast, it falls behind very quickly to my eyes. I like the 4 plex on the redfield's better too. I think you'll like any you choose just fine as Voretex makes a gooder one too. God Bless

·
Registered
210 Posts
Vortex makes the best scopes for the money hands down. The diamond back line is some of their lower end stuff, but they are comparable to the leupold vx3 series, which are nice scopes.

What price range are you looking at?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Condition 1, I was actually at primary arms in pearland friday and looked at their optics. Looked pretty good, but you are right, it is spendy.

Trekker, I am in nursing school and I have a mortgage, so every dollar counts. I am selling a burris ff2 2-7 to a buddy because I want something physically smaller. I'm pretty sure the vortex and legend are clearly better glass, and that would show up most at low light hunting shots, but this is not my hunting gun. I was looking between the ff2 and an older cheapo tasco world class today at 4 and tonight at dusk, and I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the afternoon, but in dim light I sure could.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I opt for the Vortex. Good customer service (if needed) and fantastic lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would choose the Vortex first, then the Legend, then the Banner.

The Vortex scopes are very well made. Several members of another forum have had excellent results with them. I have shot one but not owned one....yet.

The Legends are tougher than the Banners and to me a little brighter.

2 pennies

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
"Balance in the Force" is what you need at this point, Young Luke! ha With your current school/mortgage/family obligations...just for a plinker...the Bushnell Banner. That particular scope is a very good one, I had one on a 45-70, then put it on a 336 30-30 Ackley where it remains. Very clear, concise adjustments, it is a sleeper! It is the right "balance", right "now". And later, it will still give good service on a hunting trip. Some guys use them 12 ga slug guns, it doesn't get much rougher on a scope than those things! Good luck with your schooling!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only place that sells Vortex near me is Cabela's and that is more
than a 2 hour ride away.
I did buy Vortex Binocs and they have been great.
I prefer to look through glass I am interested in buying.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you try Camera land? They are a sponser of this site and Doug is very good to deal with. Good prices too.

As about his return policy

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've still got an old Banner on my 35, one with Baush & Lomb glass and the lighted reticle with the old school sliding switch on top, and it still serves me well. I've got a newish Banner on my Savage 30/06 and it has been a great value IMHO. So my vote goes for the Banner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts