Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used to have train service here. A narrow gauge line that connected many of the small hill towns. My great uncles use to ride the train down to Bellaire, Ohio where they roomed during the week. They worked in the Glass factories and rode the train back home to the farm on weekends. The tracks were 50yds from were my house is and out my back door I can see a large pond that belonged to RR to water the locomotives. My Dad rode on the last run in 1931. Many took their families on last run just for fun. The line got to expensive to maintain. The network of wooden trestles was extensive. You can still see the old road bed in places. The rails were all recovered during scrap drives for WW2. DCC1D410-AA45-497A-BFBB-72586D884672.jpeg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Nice story. There are a lot of abandoned tracks in New Hampshire. I collect kerosene railroad lanterns, amazing how many lines there were throughout the country back in the day, all eventually bought up by the larger lines. A rail line could make or break a town if it came through/near a town or not.

Reactions: lever30 and Da Duke

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Nice Drm ..............we got a 200' wide center divider for miles up Euclid Ave. Mule drawn trolley back in the day. Such history around that road. Until sometime in the 60's, they had the All States July Picnic. Each block hosted a state or two. You could meet local transplanted folks like you. Some amazing old pictures of those days. Again, my area up till the late 60's was a paradise for families, kids. ............Guns, horses, airplanes ....America!

I despise the liberal pigs allowing the destruction, erasing of our history.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There's an abandoned local RR about 60 miles from me that still has steam engines and cars in some old buildings. There were some people trying to save it years ago, but I haven't heard much about it since. Sad really.......times change and people do to.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Around here most of the abandoned rail road tracks have/are being converted to bike paths. It a project called rails to trails, I worked on part of it, took off all the ties on tressel going across the huron river in monroeville. Then set precast concrete slabs right on the old steel. Pretty neat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts