Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are the made in China winchester brand knives?? The package says stainless surgical steel. Is this a type of stainless steel? Will it hold an edge? Is it to be used one time and thrown away? The price is tempting. I usually buy American made knives. Should I avoid these knives of unknown steel? :?:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I have one & its gutted an aweful lot of deer. I done care much about it so it ends up with me alot as I tend to lose things. :lol: It wont hold an edge like a Schrade or buck but it makes it thru a deer just fine. Nice thing about a knife like it is a couple swipes over a hone steel & its done if its not too bad.
I like the handle design too with the finger groove, if we're talking about the same one anyway.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I've got the same one as you Ken, based on your pic. I agree, I'm picky on blades but I do like the design. Haven't put that one in a critter yet, but you can get a working edge, even if not a razor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had one of those Chinese Wichester jobs and it served me well as a general knock-about camp knife used for just about everything. They are cheap so you ain't afraid of screwing them up. Even used mine to open canned food. It stood up to the abuse. For the money they are great knives.

Eventualy gave it to my 18 year old daughter when I replaced it with a Shrade Shrap Finger.

Larry

G

·
chinese knives

Thanks guys. I also have a schrade honing steel. I ain't broke, just want to be thrifty. It is cheap enough, I don't have to worry about missplaceing it. I went ahead and got two. Still nothing compares to good old high carbon steel. :D :D

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
tom-they make good boat knives and loaners :lol: Life is good, BestLever

G

·
I refuse to buy anything Made in China, that is why I refuse to shop at Wal Mart. I would rather pay more. It is a matter of principle.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Anonymous said:
I refuse to buy anything Made in China, that is why I refuse to shop at Wal Mart. I would rather pay more. It is a matter of principle.
Ditto.

Even if the USA made product in inferior (rare) when I have a choice, I'll buy the American mfr item. Made in the USA is getting a lot tougher to find today, especially tools.

G

·
My dad fell into the Chinese trap, and could not resist buying about 100 knives (literally) from some mail order deal - most were Magnum brand, and s few others. He gave them to me last summer - I immediately gave all those knives to my Church, for our Mexico mission.

Buck, Gerber, Puma and many others are going Chinese. I was disturbed by this move and actually called Buck to inquire why. Buck said the company wanted the lower income Americans to be able to afford a good knife. BS.

I've accidently bought a few Chinese knives off eBay, Sportsmans Guide and a couple of other places. Returned them to Sportsman's Guide.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a couple of Marbles knives over ebay. I had looked on another site and there is showed Marbles being made by Queen Cutlery which is one of the very best USA makers. Well, when I got the knives I found out why no one else was buying them, they are made in China. So, I learned a lesson and now I am sticking to Case, Camillus, old Kabars.....etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts