Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discoverd this great subforum, i am a big fan of bbq and run a charcoal smoker.

Back to topic, has anyone a real American chili recipe he is willing to share ?

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
To take any good chili to the next level, just add velveeta. You'll be amazed how awesome it is! Granted I prefer chili to be thicker, and cheesier.. so its better.

Reactions: Sturmgewehr

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Depends were you are from, people in the Midwest add pasta noodles at time,. Here in W.I. it is straight meat chili, I like Southwest style myself after living in O.K. So go to food network and hunt for a recipe, Everyone goes to me wow army chow must be awesome, Your "fill in the blank was great" I just smile and say" I have my secrets" well that is it. lol Joel Lee

Reactions: Sturmgewehr

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Just keep in mind this is peasant food. "We slaughtered this horse last Thursday. I suspect she's beginning to turn". The spices in chili are there to hide the sour flavor of the turned meat. With that min mind:
Two part chili powder
One part cumin
Black pepper and salt to taste.
Brown your diced horse meat and a chopped onion and pour off grease.
Add your spices and a a can of beer. Simmer till tender and add masa paste to thicken.
Simmer a bit longer and serve.

For folks that like beans. Add a can of drained pinto beans.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Just keep in mind this is peasant food. "We slaughtered this horse last Thursday. I suspect she's beginning to turn". The spices in chili are there to hide the sour flavor of the turned meat. With that min mind:
Right from "O' Brother Where Art Thou." Too funny!!!:congrats:

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Next time I make some I'll have to write it all down as I go... never seems to be quite exactly the same way twice, "winging it" as I go... :biggrin:
Tastes great each time though, and my mother taught me how... no rules, ha! Thanks Mom.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I like to add BEANS,:eating: it usually adds AROMA.:flute:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Beans certainly pick up a lot of flavors that seem to get left behind by meat only chili.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is a heretical recipe (and I hate heretial recipes) that REALLY WORKS.

Begin with one of the standard chili packages (McKormick is fine) and prepare as per instructions. Then add one small can of Wolf Brand Chili. Multiples work 2X packages + 2 cans, etc.

When I make this for large groups (church meals or large camp outs) folks compliment me like crazy and lick the pot.

How did I stumble on it? I thought 5x packages would be enough for a church supper but it wasn't. So I ran to the store and bought five little cans of Wolf. The rest is history.

·
Banned
869 Posts
I have tried a lot of different beans in my chili throughout the years... and for some reason... I usually prefer regular old fashioned kidney or pinto beans in my chili.

I also like my chili to be just the right balance between spicy and sweet so I usually add a pinch or two of brown sugar.

Any fresh peppers out of garden (sweet bell, jalapeno, Hungarian, etc.) kick it up a few notches every time.

Rather than old fashioned saltines or oyster crackers... I love cheeze-its.

Rather than a typical red pepper based hot sauce... try a few dashes of the "Green Tabasco Sauce." Delicious.

I just ate chili for 3 days straight last week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I make mine 5 gal at a time. Don't have a recipe , been doing it for too long. I do add just a bit of brown sugar to it. Kills all the acid from the tomatoes. I use both kidney and pinto beans. Very little chili powder. But you will find a lot of peppers hiding around. At our annual Super Bowl party it is the main dish. They scream about how hot it is ,but and the end of the night it's all gone. And every year they ask if I am making it for this years party

1 - 13 of 13 Posts