Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone to do some checkering of a 1950's vintage 336. I tried to use Sherry Abraham but she's too busy (I guess), I get no response.

The Diamonds would be left void of checkering. May be more than anyone wants to tackle.

Oh by the way this is NOT the gun I'm working on.

Chug

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Well, whatcha have in mind??? What sort of pattern ya lookin for?

Shum8

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
My vote for Shum 8 also.. he is the one to contact ..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately it’s not in original condition. I bought it in a basket you might say and paid very little for it. Thought I might experiment in rebuilding one. Started with a hundred dollar piece of junk put about $700 more refurbishing it and when I’m finished I’ll have a $-400 gun. No doubt it will become a permanent fixture in my collection.

Checkering: What ever the wood would stand as per lines/inch, say 18 – 20. The wood is not real swift, heavy grained Marlin Black Walnut. Double diamonds on forearm and stock, checkering to wrap around the wrist and maybe a 3 point end. Does that help?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can get tools to do it yourself from Midway if you would like..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have looked at the checkering tools and read some about the process, given that, I have decided it's going to take one with a bit more patience that I have to do a good job.

How does one go about displaying a photo here? I would like to show ya what I have in mind.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can set up account in Gallery link above and then post here.. but it has to be hosted someplace with URL.. then just copy url.. click open post and click IMG above then paste then IMG again and it should appear in post..Thre are directions in References Thread too Hogship posted on how to..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
PHOTOBUCKET.COM

Once you get the accounrt set-up, copy and paste the IMG link to your post and we will get the pics.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Chugwater said:
Checkering: What ever the wood would stand as per lines/inch, say 18 – 20. The wood is not real swift, heavy grained Marlin Black Walnut. Double diamonds on forearm and stock, checkering to wrap around the wrist and maybe a 3 point end. Does that help?
If you want to send me a pic of the rifle in need of checkering, and a pic of the checkering you have in mind, I'll take a look and get back to you. Were you looking to have something similar to the old style patterns?

Shum8

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nice Chug. if you want them posted .. just put
enter to give space before next photo. and all will see them in post..but the links work fine

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Chugwater,

I like your idea on where you are headed.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Duplicate , moved below. a few post..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Obviously I’m not computer literate.

Hey “GJ” can/will you put your magic touch on the other two photos? PLEASE

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Posted for Chugwater

Photos Missing

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You sure make it rough on someone without mod powers.. LOL.. How is that.. .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In photobucket,, just right click the bottom link and copy and paste here.. that way all the codes are correct..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks much GJ. We don't have a lot of gurus 'round here but I’ll try not to lean on ya too hard.
Chug

1 - 20 of 33 Posts