Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not mean to take away from another thread but what do you think about this checkering? I took a Walnut pen from Ace Hardware and filled in the checkering on my thuty-thuty. It took either 3 or four coats AS THE WOOD REALLY SOAKED UP THE STAIN. Forgive me as I may have zoomed in a little close on these pics. I like the look.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I like it!! kind of sets it apart.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks great! It really adds a lot of character. I just may have to "steal" your idea and try it one of mine. Could you tell me a little about your "pen" as I'm unfamiliar with it. Is it just a small tool filled with whatever color stain you want use for detail work? What a great idea!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YoYo,

Our local Westlake Ace Hardware has the pens. They are chisel points with felt tips. You can get them in any number of stains, I chose Walnut to go with the wood on my thuty-thuty. Mine took either 3 or 4 coats. Be patient bro and it will work out extremely well...I promise. Put on one coat by guiding the pen down each bevel and wait until it dries as it will soak up the stain. Once you get the color you want...quit.

Dave 8)

G

·
Dave...

...you are an artiste... :wink:

Don't hold it against me, I just might borrow your technique for my own personal gain...

:wink:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Very, very nice...think I need to make a trip to Ace.
Maybe I'll wait until it quits snowing..

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
If we all use VTDW's idea, we will be able to tell an MO member if we meet while hunting. I guess as long as we don't put our guns side by side we'll be O.K. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike,

I like your reasoning. :lol: I don't know what came over me one day last year. :wink: Maybe God spoke to me that day. :wink: There has only been one friend that has seen that thuty-thuty with the dark checkering and that was about a year ago. :D

I didn't like the original (I hate that word and always have to check my spelling :evil: ) checkering of the rifle because it was just Blaaaah and the fit and finish is not what I would have purchased. (it was a B-Day present).

BUT, I am now soooooo hooked on Marlins it ain' funny, according to my wife that bought me the rifle in the first place.

The worm has turned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the Mighty Hammer of Thor Marlin .444 Live Forever!!!

Dave 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts