Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a good (enough) $60-$75 scope , 3-9 power, not heavy recoiling rifles. I know someone will say spend $800 on a Leopold. I need something to finish an inexpensive 223. Does not have to be compact. I have had a couple of good Barskas but 2 friends did not. Might even like a 6 power not adjustable.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I like the Bushnell banner and Trophy series, the banner being the less expensive line. I have two of the banner dusk to dawn 1.5-4.5x32 ($72 on amazon) one on a 444 and one on a 50 cal muzzle loader and have had no problems. There 3-9x40 is $69 on amazon.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I'll put another vote toward the Bushnell Banner and Trophy series.
I have a 4X Bushnell .22 rimfire scope from the 1980's that I mounted to my M1 Garand. It held zero just fine after 50 rounds. They are a surprisingly good scope for the money.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Tasco world class is a heck of a good scope for $50 bucks! I had one on a Remington Pump 30-06 for YEARS and my Dad has it still today.

Bushnell Banner is a good one too, I have one on a 10/22

Simmons are good also.....they are made by Bushnell

Right now you can buy a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC for $99 bucks!!!! Best scope buy EVER.....Cabelas, Academy both have it on sale. This is a $179.00 Scope that is super nice....mine came today and I don't even have a rifle to put one on........yet :proud:

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I have a Simmons 9 point (?) 3 to 9 X 40 on my model 60 and it's fantastic.
Even high-dollar optic snobs like it and can't believe how clear it is.
They are about forty to fifty bucks, depending where you buy it.

Correction: it's a Simmons 8 point.
Otherwise the Nikon Prostaff is a great choice, too, just a little more money.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
I use Hawke scopes for this kind of thing, lots of variety at that level and surprisingly good scopes under the $100 price point. Not light weight, but so far they have held up well, even to 45-70 recoil.

·
Super Moderator
23,656 Posts
Look for factory refurbished scopes on Amazon and eBay. I got a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33mm factory refurb for 100 bucks--and with the famous Leupold warranty.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Bushnell Banner, Simmons 8-Point ... all quality middle market scopes that will easily serve on a low-recoil .223. As said above, also look for the factory-refurbished deals.

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you can find a deal on an older Tasco Euro Class, those are great scopes, heavy, but great scopes. I bought a NOS 3-9x44 a few years back for 100 bucks that is as clear as a vx3.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Try the Leapers UTC line of scopes, especially the TD series (tough duty). They are built to withstand the punishing double recoil effect of magnum spring piston air rifles so they will hold up to just about anything. After breaking a number of scopes on mine I went with the L/UTC and never looked back. Also have a very nice (has all the fixin's....adjustable paralax, adjustable eyepiece, even illuminated cross hair and a mil dot reticule) L/UTC 3x9 on my squirrel rifle. For the money (about 80 bucks) it has a lot to offer...plus, its a TD series scope and believe me they are tough.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
As Blaine has Posted, I have a couple of Simmons 3x9 40mm scopes I use on two different lever guns. Very clear and the adjustment knobs are solid with a good feel for how many clicks. I use these rifles for target practice so I really don't know how well they perform in low light hunting situations or wet weather. $50.00 new in the box and even less on regional websites.

For low light hunting applications, I own Leopold Scopes. I have heard good reports from other Hunters about the NIkon Prostaff but I don't have any personal experience with their line.

Mike T.

Reactions: Blaine

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Bushnell, Barska, Nikon..... All very serviceable scopes. I have a few of each along with the Leupolds. Not a fan of Simmons scopes. I find the eye relief range to be too short/critical for me. Used to buy the Burris scopes which are very good but now they're pricey. I also like Weavers but they are outside the range you mentioned as well.

I am always on the lookout for vintage scopes like the Lyman All Americans and Alaskans as well as the Weaver K series scopes. I have several of the old Weavers and Lymans mounted on my Marlins.

T.S.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Who makes a good (enough) $60-$75 scope , 3-9 power, not heavy recoiling rifles. I know someone will say spend $800 on a Leopold. I need something to finish an inexpensive 223. Does not have to be compact. I have had a couple of good Barskas but 2 friends did not. Might even like a 6 power not adjustable.
ugh! My experience..... I have had a ridiculously high failure rate on scopes in that price range. Nothing new in that sub-$100 price range is trustworthy in my book.... You are going to have a high failure rate due simply to the design required to hit that cost point. Sure - the odd one may hold up long enough to get it sold.... But my luck with this price range is terrible. Multiple failures with optics shifting or shooting loose within a few shots.... Inconsistent and sticky tracking..... A LOT of chromatic aberration and fish eye... Extremely limited eye relief range, etc...

My experience is that you need to be into the $200 range before you get designs that will hold up...

Bushnell has some good Japanese made fixed power scopes in the $200 range that hold up well, track reliably, and have done me very well..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Right now you can buy a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC for $99 bucks!!!! Best scope buy EVER.....Cabelas, Academy both have it on sale. This is a $179.00 Scope that is super nice....mine came today and I don't even have a rifle to put one on........yet :proud:
This! I recently purchased a scope. As always, I looked long and hard. This is a little more than you wanted to pay, but is a great deal.

Reactions: drinva

·
Super Moderator
23,557 Posts
I have a Cabela's 2-7 X 33 on one of my 35Rem's. It was 89.00 OTD
and is surprisingly clear. Has held zero.
Has a fast-focus eyepice and low turrets.
I am very pleased.
Also came with a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
If it's made in China, I don't want it. It may last forever or crap out on first shot. You really have to stay on your toes these days
with all the new brands on the market. My shooten time is to valuable to mess around with questionable junk. Natchez always has
refurbished Burris & Nikon for $100-$150.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts