Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a Rem model 8 in 35 rem. It seems to be barely used the bluing is nice and the barrel looks good. Tehre are some minor scratches and little dings in the wood. The barrel has been tapped for a sling stud. There is also a hole in the reciever right through were it says remington. I'm fine with the price. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with what to look for on one of these guns as far as danger signs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks S.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The only thing in your description that raises any kind of a red flag for me is the mention of a barrel mounted swivel stud. The Model 8 is a recoil operated autoloader and the barrel itself moves rearward along with the bolt for a brief amount as the gun functions. I would make sure the addition of the swivel stud has not impeded the movement of the barrel inside the barrel jacket.

Here is a website dedicated to the Model 8 and 81 that you should find informative...
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=8

Roe

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I can't see me shooting a grizzly with a 35 Remington.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying it. Its no where near as pretty as yours Roe, but it still looks pretty good for its age. I will try and get pics up when I get it all cleaned up. The sling stud in the barrel doesn't seem to be a big deal. The shroud is over an 1/8" thick where it was drilled. Either way there is no contact. As far as shooting a grizzly, I'd rather have a .35rem than a .44mag pistol, and those are supposed to be all that on bears. S.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Well, if that's all I had and a grizzly was charging, I'd use it, but it wouldn't be my gun of choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I agree with that. I was just picking at you. What's funnig about all those old adds, is that the odds of running into a big bear like that during that time period, in the lower 48, was pretty slim. They were pretty much whiped out. Still, it looks pretty impressive. S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a mod 8..32Rem.auto...They are a very good and accurate rifle.Pretty heavy.I shot many Black Bear with it when I was a kid.Never tryed a Grizzly,tho..LOL

Yeah..I say go for that one.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
A 22 rimfire is all you need for grizzly. If one charges you shoot your hunting partner in the leg and run like hell.

Horseshoe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts