Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chamber Leading

What is the best way to clean the lead out of the chamber. The 1894 357 chamber will not let a 357 length cartridge seat. I have used the copper scrub pad on the cleaning rod, and this removed some, but not all. I have not broken the gun down and tried form the chamber end, which is probably the best. I know this has been done many times, so someone has the answer, no cense in reinventing the wheel.
XB

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Re: Chamber Leading

Is that build up from shooting .38s in that chamber? If it is, you might try chambering a spent .357 case in there to scrape it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, it is chamber buildup from 38's. I thought about pushing the hull in. I will do ahead and and see what happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I forced the spent 357 caseing into the chamber, seemed to work. I will break the gun down and finish cleaning the chamber from the receiver end.
Thanks
XB

·
Registered
6,670 Posts

And some folks say that it don't happen when shooting 38s in a 357.

Glad you're getting it cleaned out.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

If all else fails, use a "Lewis Lead Remover", available from Midway Brownells, Missouri Bullet supply, and others.

Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I used a copper cleaning pad cut up and wrapped around a bore brush. Cleaned all the residue, 357 round chambers very easily.Thanks
XB

·
Registered
6,670 Posts

XB40, I don't know if you reload, but what I do is to light load 357 ammo which takes care of the problem before it starts. I don't bother with 38 Special ammo. If you don't reload, Cowboy Action Shooting ammo in 357 works well for light loads too.

Just curious, XB40 = B-17 variant?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

Chuck a short section of cleaning rod in a cordless drill with a .375 rifle or .40 pistol brush on it. It makes short work of the crud ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts