Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1894 FG feeds jacketed bullet ammo very nicely but balks with ammo stuffed with 220 grain home cast LBT WFNs. The problem is that the cartridges consistently ride the carrier front-end-high and catch on the top edge of the chamber openning. They only feed into the chamber if the lever is operated with a hesitation about halfway through the closing stroke, a sort of double clutching motion. A full, smooth open and close of the lever, no matter whether done slow or fast, allows the bullet front to hang up on the top of the chamber openning.

My gut assessment of the situation is that a decent 'smith should be able to bevel or chamfer the front edge of the chamber openning to let these wide nose bullets feed. Anybody have any experience with such a solution or know if it is feasible and worth pursuing?

I really don't want to give up on this bullet design and go to anything else. They just shoot too well.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Any widening of the inside of the chamber would allow the brass to expand where it ain't supposed to. I could be wrong, but that's not to way to get them to feed.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTT,
Ya, I know what you're saying. I discussed this problem with a Marlin rep and he said I only needed a modified carrier and sent me one no charge. He didn't seem willing to accept the fact that a Marlin could have any other kind of a jam other than the standard jam-out-of-the-magazine, which I understand the modified carrier is designed to solve. With a back-up in hand, I filed and polished the old carrier trying to change the geometry to get the cartridge to rest on it in a more horizontal position but haven't solved the problem. It didn't cause any other problems, but hasn't been the solution either, at least not yet. I was just theorizing that semi-auto chambers seem to be sloppy at the entrance edge, as opposed to the abrupt right angle edge of the FG chamber, and wondered if a slight chamfer on the top might be the ticket. I've been comparing the FG to the 1894C which has a piece on the top front of the chamber like an inverted feed ramp that feeds just about everything like greased ice cubes. Dog gone it, I'd love to get these wide flat nose slugs to feed.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Revolver shooters have been chamfering the cylinders to aid in faster reloads for years. As long as the modification does not extend to the end of the solid case head, you should be fine.

Disclaimer: I'm not a gunsmith, just an idiot on the internet. Only a fool would listen to anything I have to say.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Basic feed ramp style modification to the chamber mouth to enhance feeding will not create case problems due to magnum pressure levels in the .44 magnum cartridge. There is adequate strength in the case head area to allow moderate beveling of the chamber mouth in the Marlin LAR to achieve smoother, more reliable feeding so long as it is not over-done.

I would look to conventional methods of fixing the problem before I turned to custom modifications. However, custom modifications do tend to make for a enjoyable shooting experience if done properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts