Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on an Elk hunt in October 2011, I'm preparing for the once in a lifetime trip. I will be using the 338MX for the hunt. So, I will need a good bullet to use. He is what I would like, let's see if anyone will accept the callange. I will report the results after the hunt if the bullet maker would like or we can keep it between us. PM if you think you're interested. Fellow Marinites I NEED YOUR HELP!

A reload using a Hornady bullet #3320, 338, 225gr, with a MV of 2400 in a 22" barrel. This should make a great Moose/Elk/Bear bullet up to 300yds.

I know the cannelure may be off a little but that's nothing a good cannelure tool can't handle. I wonder if anyone has already tried this load. FYI: An Interbond bullet doesn't have a cannelure in 338.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I killed an elk in 2007 with the 308MX and factory ammo. I would have no problem using factory ammo in the 338.

You are on your own if you want handloads to go hunting with. I will shoot my own loads that I have worked up for my rifle. I won't shoot someone else's handloads.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that problem. I would like to use an Interlock, just for peace on mind.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for here. Are you going to Work up the load or do you want someone to do it for you?

I don't think you can get 2400 fps with a 225 gr bullet in the 338mx. Without blowing the gun up. I might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need someone to workup the load. Hornady makes a factory load 200gr at 2565 MV. Other members and Remington have loads in Hornady or Core-lokt 250gr at 2150-2200 MV. Is it not possible a 225gr can be made at 2350-2400 MV? Why is this so hard to conceive?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Why is it so hard to conceive? You are asking a lot for someone to work up a load for you. Working up a load for gun A doesn't mean it is safe in gun B esp when you are working outside of published data. Have you even looked at the reloading data?

To get a 225 gr bullet to 2400 FPS is going to have unsafe pressures. Hornady list a max velocity of 2400 FPS with the 200 gr FTX bullet with 47.1 gr of Leverevolution. Hodgdon list a max velocity of 2493 with 47.5 gr of Leverevolution with a pressure of 46,000 PSI. this is the difference in test barrels, now try this with production rifles and see what happens. You are going to take a greater weight bullet that is longer to take up more case capacity and some how make it go as fast as a lighter shorter bullet? Only one way to make that happen and that is to increase pressure. You are probably talking pressures in excess of 60,000 PSI. And the Marlin action won't handle that. If you are looking for velocities like that with a heavy bullet in 338 then you picked the wrong gun. you should have gone with a 338-06, Ruger Compact mag, or Win mag.

This is a project you should take on yourself, insted of asking someone else to take the risk for you. Not only do they run the risk of injury to themselves but on the off chance they don't get hurt and get the ammo to you, then you pull the trigger and end up with the bolt through your face and half your hand missing they get sued.

And it does happen

When you talk about shooting someone else's handloads just how do you know they didn't over charge the load, or use the wrong powder by mistake? I watched a friend of mine that is an experienced handloader egg the cylinder on a S&W because he double charged the load. There probably isn't an experienced handloader here that has not made a mistake. that is why I won't shoot someone else's handloads, and it only takes once.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you put it like that, the risk is greater if I load a round myself because i don't know swat about reloading. An experienced loader will know what they are doing wayyyyyyyy more than me. Enough of that.

So you killed an elk in 2009 with a FTX bullet. Did you happen to write a thread on your hunt?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
It is not that hard to get started reloading. A little caution and attention to detail goes a long way. We all started sometime with no experience.

a far as the elk hunt here is the account.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,24332.0.html

I applied for moose tags last year and did not get drawn. Had I gotten drawn I had every intent of taking the 338M and using factory ammo. I used the 308MX in 07 becauseit was new cartridge and all the naysayers said it was not an elk cartridge. Sure killed that elk dead.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I too seriously doubt that 2,400fps is possible (safely) in the .338ME with 225gr bullets.

Except for #2520 or LVR, its difficult with a 200gr bullet, and not all of the 200gr bullets will make it. The
From my limited testing, the 200gr Speer won't make 2400fps without excessive pressure, and certainly not the 210gr Nosler Partition. The bore riding surface on these bullets is somewhat longer than that of the 200gr FTX, and this drammatically raises pressures.

As regards the alledged Remington 250gr CorLokts, no ones seen these yet and I for one doubt that we ever will.

There's nothing wrong with the FTX. No, it's not an Interlok like first advertised, but it won't "bounce" off an elk either. It just might be the best elk bullet going for any of the smaller cased .338's including the .338Fed and .338/06. At ranges over 200yds, theyll probably shoot through an elk, even if heavier bones are hit. It (.338MX) isn't exactly a short-range affair. I prefer a good expanding bullet for thin skinned game such as elk. Many, many elk have been killed with simple cup and core bullets from .270's and .30/06. The 200gr FTX will do just fine on elk. Just concentrate on putting it where it needs to go.......

I'm really looking to get my hands on some 200gr Woodliegh's. The 200gr Hawks should be equally impressive. I'm going to be concentrating on the Lee 220gr RNGC for next year. I've got about 100 that I've drilled the tips into hollow points. At 2,000fps they should do well on my smallish deer. We'll see come next October.

·
Registered
426 Posts
With respect, there is no way any responsible reloader will touch your challege to supply you with his hand made ammo. First of all it opens him up to all sorts of legal problems with not only you/your family but also with ATF. It doesn't include any number of things that could go wrong up to including the Animal being lost and you being POed about that and wanting to get back at this said loader who BTW will have no insurance to cover such a legal attack.

Thus any who do respond to you must be viewed as less than responsible in the first place.

There are custom reloaders (who have the coverage and licences) who might help so if you are serious try the internet search option. They will more than likely have you send your gun, at your expense, if they agree to do what you ask. I warn you though it will be very expensive and don't expect 2400 fps, maybe 2250-2300 max but no more. I would be more inclind to ask for a Barnes 185 gr. at 2500 or so.

Anyway good luck to you on your quest.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your advice. I found a loader that is willing to work with me and help me out, we will start a monologue.
Howdyc, it is funny you call it a quest, because that is exactly what it is.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
ihunter338 said:
I'm going on an Elk hunt in October 2011, I'm preparing for the once in a lifetime trip. I will be using the 338MX for the hunt. So, I will need a good bullet to use. He is what I would like, let's see if anyone will accept the callange. I will report the results after the hunt if the bullet maker would like or we can keep it between us. PM if you think you're interested. Fellow Marinites I NEED YOUR HELP!

A reload using a Hornady bullet #3320, 338, 225gr, with a MV of 2400 in a 22" barrel. This should make a great Moose/Elk/Bear bullet up to 300yds.

I know the cannelure may be off a little but that's nothing a good cannelure tool can't handle. I wonder if anyone has already tried this load. FYI: An Interbond bullet doesn't have a cannelure in 338.
I agree with everyone else on not achieving 2400 with a 225 gr. It might be possible, but I'm having trouble getting 2400 with the 200 gr FTX in my 22" barrel and I'm right against the max loads. I also think the 225 gr is going to be longer and need seated deeper and take up too much room in the stubby 338 case and pressures are going to soar. This is not a project anyone with any sensibility or responsibility should undertake.

Every since you got the 338 ME you have been trying to make it into something it is not. Stop doing that and if you want a 338 Win Mag., a 338 RUM, or a 338 RCM go buy one. There are a lot of 338's out there that will more than do what you want. The 338 ME isn't one of them. To try this is irresponsible on your part and anyone who is willing to join you.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Halwg said:
I agree with everyone else on not achieving 2400 with a 225 gr. It might be possible, but I'm having trouble getting 2400 with the 200 gr FTX in my 22" barrel and I'm right against the max loads. I also think the 225 gr is going to be longer and need seated deeper and take up too much room in the stubby 338 case and pressures are going to soar. This is not a project anyone with any sensibility or responsibility should undertake.

Every since you got the 338 ME you have been trying to make it into something it is not. Stop doing that and if you want a 338 Win Mag., a 338 RUM, or a 338 RCM go buy one. There are a lot of 338's out there that will more than do what you want. The 338 ME isn't one of them. To try this is irresponsible on your part and anyone who is willing to join you.
:eek: :'( :'( :p the 338MX may not have the power to drive a 225 down range at the speeds I want but apparently I have the power to piss everyone off! ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd be mighty surprised if you're "pissing everyone off". On the other hand, you may be putting together an airtight case for your lack of knowledge about matters relating to ammunition, firearms and hunting. The attitude that comes across in your last response, combined with your dismissiveness when it comes to the shared advice of so many knowledgeable individuals, can only serve to cause people to not take you seriously in future posts- IMHO. Given that you admit that you have extremely limited knowledge about reloading, I would think you would take very seriously the unified advice offered by those who have posted. Your comments smack of arrogance and ignorance; the members of this site deserve better. Perhaps this is a situation where the actual meaning behind your words is lost without actually hearing the tone behind what you're trying to say. I certainly hope that's the case.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I don't think it is a case of pissing everyone off, I don't think anyone is mad. I think it is more a case of you having very unrealistic expectations. I ran some numbers using Hornadys Ballistic calculator, and to be honest I think you are trying to urinate up a rope. Hornady did their homework with regards to the Factory 338MX ammo. Truth is it is hard to beat in terms of accuracy and performance. That 200 gr factory load is a good solid load.

You have to consider your elk hunt. How much are you spending on this hunt? They are not cheap you are probably looking at between 6-10K for this trip. If you go with anything other than the factory load you will have a single shot or at best a 2 shot rifle. I would feel better with a full mag tube. Most people will tell you to shoot until the elk is down. It might be the first shot or 4th shot that puts it down. This basic design of the FTX bullet (cup and core) has killed game animals in North America for at least 100 years.

If you look at these numbers I can't understand why anyone would want to go with a 225 gr bullet in the 338MX. The basic data used for all loads a Temp of 59 degrees, Humidity of 78%, Pressure of 29.53 and no wind.

225 gr interbond BC of .515 I used a MV of 2150 and to honest I have my doubts that you will get this.
Velocity/energy/ trajectory
Muz 2150/2309/0 100yds 1998/1995/+2.1 200 yds 1853/1716/0 300yds 1716/1471/-13.8
400yds 1586/1257/-39. 500 yds1466/1074/-78.8

200 GR factory load bc .430
muz 2500/2775/0 100yds 2302/2300/+2.5 200yds 2115/1986/0 300yds 1936/1664/-10.3
400 yds 1767/1386/-30.0 500 yds 1609/1149/-60.8

185 gr GMX bc .420
Muz 2650/2885/0 100 yds 2442/2449/+2.2 200 yds 2243/2060/0 300yds 2053/1731/-9.1
400 yds 1873/1441/-26.5 500 yds 1704/1193/-53.8

Now granted the 225 gr and 185 gr data are just a SWAG but I'll bet in reality they will be close. And the down fall to either of these cartridges is that you are limited to one or two rounds in the rifle In reality what do you hope to gain with the 225 gr bullet. What do you expect it to do that the 200 gr factory load won't do? What kinds of distance will you have to shoot? Heck at 200 yards you are giving up close to 300 FPS in velocity and over 250 ftlbs of energy. Do you honestly think that the difference in bullet construction is somehow going to make up for that?

It is your hunt and you can do as you like, but at least do some good solid homework.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you are indeed dead set on shooting a 225 grain bullet, so be it, but back off on the speed of the bullet. A load could probably be worked up that would be accurate, but 2400 fps is unrealistic and unsafe. I can almost guarantee you that the deer, moose, elk or whatever you are hunting will not know the difference in the speed of the bullet. The accuracy of the load and shot placement mean much more. I do have a problem with the fact that the majority of the people who have responded to your message are reloaders and yet you disregard the answers that you were given and that you asked for. I also have a problem that it may not be your intention but you very well might be putting a person's safety at risk by asking them to develop such a load for you. If you wanted to take that risk on your own that would be unwise but that would be your choice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would use the factory 338 loads and not look back! Hit em' in the boiler room and they'll go down! I have a friend in Montana that kills elk every year with a 243 and I think last year he stepped up to a 257 roberts. If you're concerned about the performance of the FTX bullet, try to find some hornady 200gr. interlock flatpoints #3315 that were made for the 33 winchester. These bullets hit hard!!! Good luck on your hunt!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to let it go. Apparently know one thinks it can be done safely. You're right I don't know squat about reloading, I said that in the begining.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KadillacKelley said:
I would use the factory 338 loads and not look back! Hit em' in the boiler room and they'll go down! I have a friend in Montana that kills elk every year with a 243 and I think last year he stepped up to a 257 roberts. If you're concerned about the performance of the FTX bullet, try to find some hornady 200gr. interlock flatpoints #3315 that were made for the 33 winchester. These bullets hit hard!!! Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts