Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to learn more about Cerberus Capital and if you are interested, here are some leads as to what they are into. Some pretty interesting stuff, but I still haven't tied the gun industry interests in with the other larger and likely more profitable enterprises they persue.
I do seem to remember the Remington vs Bushmaster thing with the AR platform and there was a mention of one company doing civilian sales and the other for government sales. As they have other governmental supply interests, maybe they are in it for the money in possible large contracts.
Could it be that simple? They might be doing it for the money. Heck, Oliver Winchester was not a gun man, he was a shirt maker as I recall. But he saw a good business to pursue. Colt, Whitney and others. Was it a passion for guns, or a desire to fill a need and make money.
It would not be hard though, to envision Cerberus standardizing their facilities to a point where they could handle the production of large and lucrative contracts. All the while, making innocent looking Marlins. Hummmmm!
http://www.cerberuscapital.com/port_comp_pro.html
Check these companies out. I am not convinced they are conspiring against you and I , but our supply of sporting arms could be seriously be diminished if a protracted war broke out.
Bestboss

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't get the impression that people think Cerberus is "conspiring" against people who care about the quality of their guns. I think it is more of an "I don't care" attitude as long as profits are maximized and quality be damned. It is the WalMart mentality of giving people what they want for the lowest possible price. It is the consumer who is driving this. The majority obviously want to pay the lowest price possible for cheaply produced goods whether they are made in China or by unskilled labor in North American factories. Why else the popularity of Norincos?

Those of us who care about the quality of our guns are unfortunately in the minority judging by increased sales reported by Marlin. Another string asked if I would be willing to pay up the $200 more for a better quality Marlin. I would in a flash if I was guaranteed that I would be getting value for my money. Many others wouldn't.

In yet another thread Marlin lever rifles were referred to a basic pickup trucks. I agree. But like the old Fords or Chevys they were solidly built and you could count on them to get the job done without all the flash and bells and whistles.

Unless there is a sudden turn around in Marlin quality I think the glory days are over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts