Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a box of Centennial Topspeed 30-30 cartridges in 150 gr. This is a full box and in great shape. The interesting thing, I thought was there is no head stamp and the head has an interesting shape. I have attached pictures. Does anyone know when these were made and who made them?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hawlg,

From the John Witzel collection:

I'm thinking 1960's - 1970's time frame.

w30wcf

Reactions: lever30

·
Premium Member
18,004 Posts
Thanks 30wcf, I was going to ask Hal for a profile shot of the bullet. Off the top of my head that looks like a Winchester bullet, but that's just a guess. Anyone know who made ammo for Browning? I think it's interesting that they removed the Browning headstamp! I'd have to assume they did that before they were loaded................ :D

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
papajohn,
You are most welcome. The bullet in Hawlg's box appears to be a roundnose. Browning did offer bullets in both roundnose and flatnose configurations.
John Witzel indicated that Amron of Waukesha, WI was at least one supplier of cartridge cases for Browning. It is not clear if they also made the ammunition, or at least some of it.

That plant closed back in 1998 according to this article:
http://www.bookrags.com/highbeam/waukesha-ammunition-plant-to-close-130-19980430-hb/

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are indeed roundnose bullets.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Old post but I just found a mint box of centennial top speed 308 ammo. What can you guys tell me about this ammo company!??

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Old post but I just found a mint box of centennial top speed 308 ammo. What can you guys tell me about this ammo company!??
I have forwarded this question to my cartridge Guru and expect an answer back in a few days. Will post findings asap.
I have no info on it in my files at this time unless it is hidden under some obscure mfgrs name.

`57
More info. Co. was in business during the 1960s and later, manufacturing Repo BP handguns and rifles of particularly high quality. They also made the line of cartridges in various calibers. Located in ILL.
Here is a link that will get you more info on that Co. but it is a bit scatterd around the web.

https://www.google.com/search?q=centennial+top+speed+rifle+cartridges&authuser=0&sxsrf=ACYBGNQF3NnJ7DNaCqc9OIYmwaCER2ARjg:1581261882697&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=XhdwRFkfc_oFtM%3A%2ClBQIdfuhRqsgaM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTXrwqvrgp7JfBNBESTshsOd3ACGw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPosLG48TnAhVOVs0KHVZgBJUQ9QEwC3oECAkQCQ#imgrc=b8u5EBL6JV_gfM
Best I can come up with at the moment.
`57

1 - 8 of 8 Posts